Evergreen magnolia for small Vancouver garden?

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Lynnedq, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Lynnedq

Lynnedq Member

Thanks to this winter's heavy snow and ice, we have had to remove a large old lilac in our garden. We're thinking of replacing it with an evergreen magnolia (shade in summer, a screen in winter) if we can find one that is at least 8 ft tall for under $200. The spot is sheltered and south-facing in the corner between our garage and fence. Any suggestions as to what variety, and where to buy it would be welcome.

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

there are a number of nice cultivars of Magnolia grandiflora ,of which you may be thinking. Might be a little early for them to be in the retail nurseries though, and would expect you will find a nice one for less money. some have nice brown indumentum on the leaf underside, that fuzzy brown growth. Not much experience here with evergreen ones, have M. virginiana which is referred to as swamp magnolia and seems to like some shade.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The usual choice would be 'Little Gem'. Shrubby at first but actually a columnar tree, with a more narrow shape developing with age unless prevented by training onto a wall as espalier or other circumstances. Might enjoy your nook if it is large enough; pruning to control size might also be feasible if you are adept at this.

4. Lynnedq

Lynnedq Member

Thanks to all those who replied - very helfpul information.

5. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

'Victoria' is a little hardier than some of the other cultivars, understand it originated in Victoria, B.C. They vary some as to size of flower,scent, leaf, and habit. Worth a little research. Most local retail nurseries carry various cultivars.

6. Ron B

Since you mention snow breakage evergreen magnolias (including 'Little Gem') are prone to this in this region. Compact cultivars like 'St Mary' and 'Victoria' less susceptible, may have little damage.

If this spot is sheltered from cold winds and you are in a mild neighborhood near salt water you might be able to keep banana shrub (Magnolia figo, syn. Michelia figo) or the shrubby form of M. yunnanensis. These are less coarse and large-growing than M. grandiflora.

7. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

My 'Edith Bouge' has been great with snow loads.
    Cheers, LPN.

8. Ron B

Central leader of 'Edith Bogue' here (Island County, WA) snapped out in that last heavy snowfall. Several remaining side branches bent or broken.

9. Nervous

Nervous Member

10. Lovegarden

Lovegarden New Member

I had 4 magnolia planted this year and for a 3 meeter magnolia I paid les then $200. Contact me (by private message) if you want the name of the company that planted my trees.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
  11. Lynnedq

Lynnedq Member

Thanks for the offer, but since I posted the original question we opted for a non-evergreen stellar magnolia, which is growing well.