Acer palmatum HIKARU GENJI

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Gomero, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

A friend of mine showed me this page (Hikau genji ) from the online catalog of a well known French supplier. For American readers €1 = $1.3 roughly and 1.5l = 1/3 gallon, so this cultivar is sold $123 for a one year old graft in a 1/3 gallon pot.

I was wondering if anybody had this plant and could explain to me why it fetches such a price tag.

Gomero

P.S.: A remainder to anybody wishing to add it, price notwithstanding, to his collection: buy it in the summertime so you can verify that variegation is present.

2. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

This is a long shot,and I'm pretty certain it's my translators error,but when translating the Ganshunku site,said it's grafted onto Murasaki shikibu,probably really said something totally different though.

3. Houzi

Thinking about it,unless Murasaki shikibu is clonal,it wouldn't make sense.I realise it's the name of a poet also.However when translating another site it says it can put out green leaves in April (some reversion) and if watered from above,or rain,the droplets will become powdery mildew...have you seen this on any other of your rare maples?.....sounds like a real finnicky plant to me.

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Houzi, yes it is a translation error, this maple is actually a bud mutation or sport of 'Murasaki shikibu'.

From e-momiji via two different translation bots:

From Yano's Book for Maples:

It sounds like it is very susceptible to branches dieing which might help to explain the high prices asked. Some people just love a rarity and are willing to pay whatever it takes. Out of those sold I wonder how many will make it 10 years without either dieing or reverting?

5. Houzi

Ha ha,that makes a lot more sense.It was only the Ganshuku website that gave me that 'grafted' result.I don't think I could be bothered with a plant as fussy as this,especially outside,however I think Murasaki Shikibu or kotobuki? looks a lovely plant,better than this sport.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  6. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Probably zero.
    My point is that there are already many variegated 'rarities' in that same online catalog, which probably will last 2-3 years before dying or reverting, and which are sold half the price of this one. Why this particular one is so expensive?, novelty?

Gomero

7. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

for having a good variegation i prune after that jm open the bud and leaves are full open in this period is easy see the leaves with no variegations and remove .with this method i grown Taimin nishiki ,Fujiama nishiki with a good number of beautiful branch .i presume that this is the right way for H.G.too.