HELP!!! Frozen Christmas Cactus...

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Takaia, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Takaia

Takaia Member

My mom accidently leaft her christmas cactus out overnight and it froze , so she proceded to cut off all of the branches because they were all frozen and dead looking. It wouldn't be a big deal, but it was her mother's plant, and I would like to have my grandmother's plant stay alive for a while yet, since it has a sentamental value. Is there any hope of saving it? What can I do to make sure that there is the highest probability it will survive and grow again? Please Help!

2. Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack Active Member

Place it in a warm, sunny position with plenty of moisture -- a kitchen or bathroom window is ideal if it has good exposure to sunlight. To hedge your bets, look for segments that still look healthy. Break them off and leave the wounds to heal over, then plant them in good soil. The more cuttings you can get, the better your chances of success, but it'll take a couple of years before they grow back into decent-sized plants and produce flowers again.

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

As long as the roots didn't get damaged in the freeze, the leaves will eventually grow back.
    Taking cuttings is a good idea too, make a couple new plants!

4. Takaia

Takaia Member

Thanks for the help. Unfortuneately I was just comming home for spring break from college, and I was just able to witness the aftermath... and my mom had cut away all of the green parts. I don't think she thought anything was salvageable since she did that. Does it really matter if it is in a sunny place if it has no green left? And is it a good idea to leave it moist all the time, or should it dry out a bit? I just thought maybe it should not get too wet because it is a cactus and is made for a dry environment, but I don't know that much about plants so I'm not sure.

5. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

That's too bad all the leaves of the plant were damaged that bad.

These plants can grow well in just about any kind of light, even in an unobstructed north light. Bright indirect light and some sun is fine.
    These are jungle cactus which in nature grow on tree branches, not desert cactus and they like a little more water than the spiny cactus do. I wouldn't keep it wet since there are no leaves. water it carefully and let the soil pretty much dry, then keep your fingers crossed!

6. Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack Active Member

Definitely let the soil dry periodically. Your feet would suffer if you stood permanently in mud, and so will its roots! When you say there's no green left, does that mean the woody segments in the centre are still there? If so, I imagine sunlight will still be beneficial, and it needs every indulgence at least until new leaves start growing. If she's cut away everything above ground, I doubt it'll survive.

7. Takaia

Takaia Member

There are still woody parts :). Thank you, I will take your advice.