Bambusa Lako ( Timor Black Bamboo )

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by BloomBamboo, Jun 16, 2008.

1. BloomBamboo

BloomBamboo Member

I am trying to find a rare bamboo called Bambusa Lako ( aka.Timor Black Bamboo ) Is there anyone that would know where I can acquire this locally.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. Coastal

Coastal Active Member

I'd be interested in finding it too! I will ask around and see if theres any locally.

3. BloomBamboo

BloomBamboo Member

Hi,

Apparently you are interested in finding out if there is anyone that has Timor Black Bamboo. I was in a nursery in Richmond and I purchased a 12' tall Black (almost brown) Bamboo with green stripes. The culms are about 1.5" in diameter and it seems to be a young plant. I believe it was the last one and the grower doesn't know what species it is. I believe it may be Timor because of the green stripe. The grower did have other bamboos but the plants looked almost dead and I couldn't tell if those ones were black or rotten culms.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

It appears you have Timor Black. The culms get darker with age.
    BTW that plant is quite common in Australia...

Ed

5. Coastal

Coastal Active Member

Wow could you PM me which nursery it was?

thanks!

6. BloomBamboo

BloomBamboo Member

Hi Coastal,

Apparently I am not a "registered member" so I do not have private message or email capabilities.

The nursery is called "Garden in Garden Nurseries" on No. 6 Road, close to Bridgeport. Trust me, the other 2 bamboos he had were in VERY rough shape or I would have purchased all of them. Hardly any leaves and the culms were colorless. You can't tell if they are Timor as the seller has no idea what it is. So I didn't want to take any chances paying so much for something that I have no idea what it is. But you can take a look. Perhaps the root system may be healthy. I was lucky enough to be there at the right time and p/u a healthy plant.

If you have any "Phyllostachys vivax aureocaulis", I would be willing to trade with you. Or I can just sell it to you for the total price I got it for. I am now interested in the Vivax Aureocaulis instead. Good thing I haven't planted it in the ground yet.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  7. Coastal

Coastal Active Member

Ok thanks I sent you an email!

Rob

8. JCardina

JCardina Active Member

Comox, Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada
    Bambusas are a tropical species of bamboo and Lako is at the warm end of that scale, unless you're growing it indoors or in a greenhouse it's almost certainly going to die in Vancouver this winter as it's a zone 9b at absolute coldest.

It's more of a Florida or south Texas bamboo.

9. capcarl

capcarl Member

Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
    Greetings from Saipan. Bambusa Lako seed is available from a dealer in India. I had plants 3 inches tall at which time my cat decided it was edible. I still have my cat. I may have seed, however, I am at sea for two more days before I will be able to check. I am in the market for the seed of yellow poinciana, P. pterocarpum regina. More later. Cheers, Cap Carl

10. qualityplants

qualityplants Member

Hi,
    I saw your post r.e. B. lako seeds.
    I really want some and have bought two lots from ebay that are duds.
    My asper and strictus germinated fine...
    Could you let me know how I can get some from India?
    My address is qualityplants
    yahoo dot com dot au

May thanks,
    Matt