1. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Cut and swab,
    I've had to do it removing Groundsel bushes as they are not affected by foliar spray. Use a 50/50 mix of herbicide (very strong but most effective).
    If you are going to attempt it, have the prepared poison mix ready to paint onto stump and top end of vine, as soon as sap appears the wound has 'healed' and will need to be re-cut. Speed is essential to ensure a good coating before the sap covers the cut. Sap works the same as our blood here and will rinse any infections or unwanted material out of the wound. Likewise air can get caught up in the top end of the vine and the poison will not be taken up properly (This is why you should cut bottom of stem on cut flowers to help prolong their cut-life)

2. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

Hi Liz, that sounds like an excellent approach, as long as there is still enough "green" left on the bottom to absorb sufficient poison to kill the roots.

3. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

No green needed with cut and swab technique literally painting high concentrate of herbicide onto stump. (I have also had to drill tree stumps that re-shoot and pour poison into holes, holes need to be drilled in the outer growing layer of the stump.)

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes that is the method (swab) I also do this with blackberries my curse. Cut about one foot high and paint. Then pull the brambles out.

WE have hit a 150 odd year record here re the heat. 43C+ for 3 days in a row. Mid thirties next week is going to feel cold by comparison.

Liz