Split Leaf Philodendron transplant

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by kreeves, Oct 31, 2007.

1. kreeves

kreeves Member

I have a large split leaf philodendron (about 6 feet tall) growing up next to my house. It needs to be moved and I'm hoping to be able to transplant it to another part of the yard. Can I cut it off at the ground and plant the little roots that grow off of the side of the plant? The plant is up next to our concrete slab and I'm hoping it hasn't damaged the foundation. Any advice will be appreciated. This is a beautiful plant and I don't want to lose it.

2. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

As far as I know, these plants can't damage a home foundation as they don't have swelling roots as are found on woody trees. There are two kinds of roots on the stem, little short roots that attach to the support, and thick long roots that go to the ground and transport nutrients to the plant. It is the thick long roots you need to be most concerned about having for the transplant to succeed. So I recommend trying to preserve as many of the thick long roots as you can to give the transplant the greatest chance of success.

LariAnn
    Aroidia Research

3. Sigtris

Sigtris Active Member

I am certain that any Philodendron can not damage a home foundation, I have had them growing in my house walls outside for many years (more than 20) and there is no damage to the foundation.
    Since some of them have grown so "big" and if I want to transplant them I just cut the desired part off, and as LariAnn said I am careful with the long woody roots.
    I have done the above with P selloum, verrucoso, and mainly Monstera deliciosa
    so far I have (fingers crossed) never lost any of my transplants

4. ralphbellinger

ralphbellinger Member

I have four large Split Leaf planted outside also. They are now about 4 years old. Is there anyway to protect them from the cold so they do not loose their main trunks.

In previous years I allowed them to get cold and they dropped. When trimmed in spring they then grew from new shoots

The main growth is desirable as they are much easier to control and look better

Help

Thanks