Propagation: staghorn spore

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by luciferb, Mar 25, 2006.

1. luciferb

luciferb Member

Hello All
    i have herd that you can propagation staghorn from spores does anyone have any info on how this is done
    regards
    bill

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Re: staghorn spore propagation

Bill--haven't done staghorn specifically, but might be the same as other ferns.

Simplest method seems to be fill a pot or tray with bagged potting mix that says it's sterilized, african violet soil is one, for e.g. Moisten this mix, and sprinkle the spores over the surface. Cover tightly with stretch wrap or put in a plastic bag, and keep it warm and shaded. Wait.

When you get round green deals growing on the surface, spray very lightly with a fine mist of water, this fertilizes the baby ferns, which then start to put out tiny fern leaves. Wait some more, until they are big enough to transplant.

Patience is the main trick with ferns, they seem to take forever to get going. The nice thing is you don't do much to them either, very low maintenance during all the waiting, as long as they are well covered/bagged so they don't dry out.

Good luck!
    Glen

3. chpchatter

chpchatter Member

can staghorn ferns be done with cuttings?

4. Barry B

Barry B Member

Stag Horn ferns are popagated, like most other ferns from spore. Cuttings will not work, or at least not in my experience. The method of propagation described by another subscriber, that is under moist conditions in a container, under virtually 100% humid conditions, is the bets. But it takes along time.

5. John Allen

John Allen Member

I assume chpchatter means Platycerium in which case the usual way in my area is dividing the clump on the tree. My climate is mediterranean, so they grow quite happily outside attached to a shady tree. Small offsets can be harvested, which leaves the mother plant intact and looking good.

6. John Allen

John Allen Member

Bill...we're in the same climate so you shouldn't have trouble growing Platycerium offsets. If they are big enough they can be tied to a tree or log with an old stocking...even a nail will hold them in place til they 'take'. Some clingwrap, can be wrapped around the basal frond and secures it to its 'perch'. This helps keep the offsets moist until they take.

But as growest says, they will grow from spores. I'm guessing you have a stock plant with mature fronds and attached (underneath) sporangia on the fronds. You can try a petri dish or plastic icecream and lid. Scrape the spores off onto some broken boiled terracotta pot (cooled) into about an inch of (cooled) boiled water in your container. You should have a large area of terracotta exposed for innoculating with spores. Of course this surface should rise up about an inch or so above the water surface. The sterile water can 'wick' through the terracotta and provide just sufficient moisture. Securing the lid onto the container maintains humidity. Its very set-and-forget. Place under a north facing verandah, good light, nice and warm, but not in direct sunlight (Keep an eye on the angle of the Sun as the season changes).
    Icecream containers should provide a water tight seal, but petri dishes may need some maintence. (Or you could waterproof the lid with electrical tape) The boiling of water and terracotta should reduce infection and equally, should ensure you don't get unwelcome growth like liverworts, moss and other ferns, which may be difficult to distinguish in the early stages.

7. yousatonmycactus

yousatonmycactus Active Member

In California we simply excise "pups" or offsets with a sharp knife, cutting deep enough into the growing medium to insure sufficient roots. Use flexible ties to attach plant to moist sphagnum moss and secure to desired growing surface (tree, shingle, fence, etc.)

8. brian

brian Member

I have been trying propagate staghons for some time now with no success, some people in the forum talk about splitting or cutting the growth out to start new one`s. I do this with what we call Elkhorns, the one`s i call Staghorns can not be done that way they only grow from spore`s i have seen them in rain forests, where a big staghorn is up high and you can see the little one`s down in the lower branches, this is done naturally but is very hard to do artificialy. If anyone has any idears i would be most gratful Brian

9. Barry B

Barry B Member

Brian

I grow ferns on a commercial basis, from spore that is. Due to the number of plants that I have to generate through my business, I can not fidget around with small quantities that does not really support a time effective effort. My knowledge of other methods of multiplication is not worthy of noting at all.

Should you want to know exactly how I do spore germination, I am willing to share with you what I know from experience. Please drop me a private note in this regard if you are interested.

10. KMart

KMart Member

Barry,
    I'm interested in learning your method for propagating staghorn's. I've tried the terracotta method mentioned but don't seem to get far.
    Thanks for the help,
    Kevin

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2007
  11. wood4me

wood4me Member

BarryB said on this forum: "Should you want to know exactly how I do spore germination, I am willing to share with you what I know from experience. Please drop me a private note in this regard if you are interested".

I too am keen to know how to propagate Staghorns. They are nowhere near as prolific in Western Australian gardens as their close relative, the easily divide-able Elkhorn.

Although BarryB invited a private note - he has no contact information in his profile.

If you are reading this BarryB, will you contact me please?

Thanks in advance.

12. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Wood--you can send a private message to anybody here.

Just go to Barry's post, and click on his name. A menu will scroll down, including sending a private message. (This is actually great, as it avoids us having to post our email addresses where sure as shootin' more spam will turn up in our inboxes!)

13. mizlunacy

mizlunacy Member

Hi Barry,
    I'm a home-gardener and owns 2 staghorn ferns. I'm interested to know how to propagate using spores. Will try to drop a note soon.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  14. stitches

stitches Member

Hi Barry,
    Would very much appreciate if you could share with me on how to propagate staghorns,,I live in Hervey Bay ,Queensland,just opposite Fraser Island wich has some of the most beautiful Stags i have seen,,I do own several but have had no luck in propagation,,i do have a lot of spore on the underside of my mature plants.
    Hope to hear back from you in the new future,
    Regards Paul,
    I grow ferns on a commercial basis, from spore that is. Due to the number of plants that I have to generate through my business, I can not fidget around with small quantities that does not really support a time effective effort. My knowledge of other methods of multiplication is not worthy of noting at all.

Should you want to know exactly how I do spore germination, I am willing to share with you what I know from experience. Please drop me a private note in this regard if you are interested.[/QUOTE]

15. HelgaG

HelgaG Member

Hi Barry,
    I too would like to know how to propogate Stag's. You have proved quite popular on the subject. could you contact me to share the info.
    HelgaG.

16. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

While all you fern experts are available - How does one tell a Staghorn from am Elkhorn. I was given one which seems to produces pups fairly frequently. I was unaware there were 2 similar plants and tried to identify which I had. Elk seems to be more feathery and Stag seems to be more study, if that makes sence
    Have never tried to propagate from spores - no room if they suceed. I'd just like to know which I have. Key identifiers (if any) would be appreciated.
    Barbara Lloyd

17. HelgaG

HelgaG Member

Hi Barbara,
    I am definately no expert, but as I have come to understand a staghorn is all green with huge "leaves" that grow out from the centre and hug the tree or wood they are attached to from the base and fan out at the top then as they mature they grow different "leaves" (fronds) that hang down which have the brown spores underneath. whereas Elks have a brown seemingly dry base from which green spindley leaves grow out and can have multiple plants growing together. I usually think of them as stag fronds are like a moose antler and elkhorn like deer horns. Don't know if that helped.
    HelgaG.

18. nyuk phin

nyuk phin Member

Barry B,
    I am from Malaysia with tropical climate. I am interested to propagate staghorn ferns using spores or tissue culture. Since you are an expert in propagating from spores, I hope you can share your experience with me. Do I have to pay a fee for your technique? I will be glad to get a response from you as soon as possible. I do not mind buying your literature, if you have. Sincerely, Nyuk Phin

19. magda

magda Member

Has anyone had any success in propagating Staghorns? I have been experimenting for the past 6months and I do have something growing in a container and I am fairly sure that they are baby staghorn. I am unsure what to do next. They have been in a sealed plastic container up until now and I thik it is nearly time to put them out in the open. What is the best way to do this without killing them? Any ideas anyone?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
  20. Janis43

Janis43 Member

Hi Barbara,

I'm new to this forum and have read with interest your posting.
    In Australia the Elkhorn (In America this is called - Staghorn) is a plant the multiplies, forming a series of eyes and small fronds. Stags ( Elkhorn in America) on the other hand remains one large plant and can only be reproduced by spore, and is very slow and difficult to do. I am still learing and hopefully I will succeed one day.

Please to be aboard.

Jan Natt

21. Tegal85

Tegal85 Member

Hi Janice43 i thought i might just clear something up for you and anyone else that may have the same mistake here Elkhorn and Staghorn Ferns are not the same plant

Elkhorn "Platycerium bifurcatum"
    http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2004/platycerium-bifurcatum.html
    can be propagated from plantlets as well as spores.
    Staghorn "Platycerium superbum"
    http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2006/platycerium-superbum.html
    can only be propagated from spores.

I myself am currently trying to grow some "Platycerium superbum" Spores in a old fish tank as a terrarium. as one of the methods tought by our TAFE teacher another way he suggested (and is how he does most of his is on moss covered moist rock like you find in the bush this being easy for him as his nursery is in the bush :P)

I would really like to read Barry B's method to give it a shot. if it would be possible for him to post it on the thread rather then separately for each person.

22. Peperomia

Peperomia Active Member

Yup! It's boring to reproduce staghorn fern. It takes as long as a year or more to germinate this spores. I live in a tropical country and I attached them in a tree. Pups can be seen in the leaflets. I cutted this and plant it in another tree. I have three large ferns right now.