when to dig up glads

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by christabel, Oct 8, 2007.

1. christabel

christabel Member

When should i dig up my glads? Wait until they die back or cut them back. What do I do with the corms? (i think thats what they are) tiny little white bulblets.

anybody want some glad bulbs SASE or trade I have way too many

2. Ian61

Ian61 Member

I'd wait until the foliage dies back and then lift them. You could plant out the tiny corms, but it will take a few years before they will flower. I generally just keep the original corm and toss the wee ones out.

Ian

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

I thought Glads would make it through a BC winter? My Glads made through last winter, albeit a mild one, but it was far harsher than what would be experienced in Port Coquitlam.

4. christabel

christabel Member

I thought so too however I lost so much last winter , things that had been in the ground for a few years died. We had about 4 days of -5 , much colder winter than normal. I was really sad I lost some beautiful Callas and a Passiflora.

Im planning on sharing the glads I have way too many.

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

6. BbyGardener

BbyGardener Member

I found out the hard way that when they say to dig up glads for the winter, it's best to heed that advice. I dug mine up every year except last winter, and I was left with 4 out of 18! Because of our wet winter, spring and summer, most of the corms rotted away.

7. christabel

christabel Member

I know our winters can be so tricky. Really mild and wet 90% of the time and then a sneaky cold snap, disaster for anything sensitive.