Meyer Lemon source in Canada

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by assiegordon, Aug 10, 2006.

1. assiegordon

assiegordon Member

Hi all,

I've been looking for a Meyer Lemon in eastern Ontario (specifically around the Ottawa/ Ottawa valley areas) for the last two years, but none of the nurseries seem able to find one. Anyone have a source for the Meyer in Canada? I'm willing to ship/travel to find one at this point.

Thanks,

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Online sources for citrus are very limited in Canada. You could check with Flora Exotica. Meyer lemons are available in Vancouver sporadically throughout the year. They come from various sources but mostly from Monrovia. Use their Retailer Locator (top right corner) to find a potential source in your area. You may be able to special order from one of them if they don't have stock on hand.

P.S. Monrovia's regular address doesn't seem to be working at this time; try this link instead.

3. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

You can order one in from Cliftons nursery in California. They will get the phytosanitary documents for you too. ($30 per order) They are expensive but you get a quality plant
    and it is shipped in a bullet proof package. I suggest you get a few items at the same time to make it worth while. I purchased 4 Avocado plants from them in the spring
    They have worked out well. HOWEVER, Living in Vancouver we are a stones throw from the border and i got the plants shipped to Point Roberts Washington to avoid potential delays in the customs warehouse...i imported them myself with all the nessisary paperwork. (my contact there was Catherine)
    http://www.buyplantsonline.com/shop/home.asp
    Greg

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Just in...Cannon Nurseries carries several varieties of citrus including Meyer Lemon. They have several locations and one of them may be within driving distance from you.

5. tree

tree Member

You can get citrus trees including meyer or pondarosa lemon trees, orange trees, manderin trees at Richmond nurseries. It is a excellent well known nursury just outside of Ottawa.

Cheers

6. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

Maple Leaf Garden centre in North Vancouver has just received about 3 dozen 1 gal Meyers. They are selling for 19.99 +gst (no pst) They look pretty good.They are grown by Monrovia in California.
    Greg

7. Catia

Catia New Member

Bob and Verna Duncan, owners of "Fruit Trees and More" located near Sydney (near Victoria, B.C.) grow all kinds of citrus. I bought my Meyer Lemon tree two years ago when Bob came to Quadra Island to talk to our Garden Club.

8. Delvi83

Delvi83 Active Member

Meyer Lemon is just a little cold hardier than common Lemons....i don't know the climate of Ontario, but if you want a cold-hardy Citrus is better to choose others......if you don't have problem of cold Meyer is good, it make fruit less acidic than common lemon...:)

9. Phoenix Perennials

Phoenix Perennials Member

We will have lots of Meyer lemons and other citrus in the spring at Phoenix Perennials. We also do mail order within Canada. The citrus can be special requested if we don't include them in the mail order offerings. Cheers, Gary, www.phoenixperennials.com

10. Khaled

Khaled New Member

Im in the process of germinating 6 meyer lemon seeds. I'll be glad to give you a seedling if you want. Im in the montreal area so not too far. Youll have to wait for the fruit as this is not a clone from a mature plant but if you are patient it will work perfect. Plus itll be on its own rootstock.

Let me know,

Khaled

11. Carlson Family Farm

Carlson Family Farm New Member

After searching for potted dwarf citrus trees in Canada for years, we took up the challenge of investing time and resources into thoroughly researching this industry and starting our own citrus nursery here in rural Nova Scotia. We sell from our farm gate in Pictou County, from Halifax Farmers Market (2 hrs away) and provide bare-root online ordering and shipping across Canada www.carlsonfamilyfarm.ca

12. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thank you for posting that here. I have added it to our Citrus Resources page.

Carlson Family Farm likes this.
  13. Carlson Family Farm

Carlson Family Farm New Member

Thank you!

14. Lili Jenne

Lili Jenne New Member

You can get Meyer lemon plants from Pleasurevault in Toronto. Dwarf Mandarin oranges, Meyer lemons and exotic Cuban plants.
    Here the link
    The email is : pleasurevault@yahoo.com.