Can I grow a manderine tree from a seed of the fruit?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Stephanie Saxby, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Stephanie Saxby

Stephanie Saxby Member

Our next door neighbours have an amazing manderine tree.
    The fruit is very sweet, and I would like to grow a tree for our family.

My question is can I plant the seeds out of the manderine fruit, and grow a tree. Will the fruit tast the same?

Thank you.

2. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

3. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

Stephanie Saxby..You could ask your neighbour if you could air layer one of branchs, it wont hurt the tree

also if you had some root stock you could also t-bud. either way is very easy

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes, you can plant a seed from your neighbors mandarin tree. It will take approximately 18-21 days for germination. Keeping the germinating medium at 90F will help to speed up the process. Almost all sweet oranges, true grapefruit, lemons, limes, pure mandarins (other than King & Clementine) most tangelos, hybrid tangerines & tangors (except Temple) willl come true from seed. So if your neighbors mandarin tree is not a King or Clementine mandarin then the seeds will produce a tree that will be the same as your neighbors. Note that it will take 7-9 years before the seedling will start to produce fruit. Grow the seedling in a fast draining soil, and water only when the top inch or two becomes dry. - Millet