Transplanting Grape Hyacinth

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by SarahGuent, Apr 2, 2010.

1. SarahGuent

SarahGuent Member

I have found some grape hyacinth that keep popping up in my yard. I think they are cute and would love them in my garden, but right now I am more likely to mow them over than anything else.

I've read that I should transplant them in the fall, but I don't think I'd be able to find the bulbs. Would they survive if I try to transplant them while they are still blooming? There are so many that even if only a few survive, I am sure they would bounce back.

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Grape hyacinths are virtually indestructable and can sometimes take over a garden! So yes, move them now. You have nothing to lose.
    Make sure that you plant them at the same depth as they are now.

I am rather fond of the species one Muscari latifolium, it has interesting leaves and flowers and is not so invasive.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q...GB&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Muscari Valerie Finnis is another cutie.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q...GB&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
  3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Don't try to find the bulbs. Just figure out where the center is and cut a big cone of soil out with a shovel. About 8" to 12" diameter, and the point of the cone or bottom of root ball about one shovel's depth deep.

So don't open the soil to get the bulb out. Just take a small root ball out that would be about 1.5 times the volume of a 1 gallon plant, only a cone, ratherer than a cylindrical.

Very easy to move usually most months of the year.

4. SarahGuent

SarahGuent Member

My garden is full of fairly aggressive plants and I want the bed to be completely covered eventually, so I don't think the aggressiveness will be a problem for me.

They look very similar to the Muscari Valerie Finnis. Maybe I can add a picture to find out for sure what others think it is, I was just guessing what they were based on pictures.

I am going to have to get down to the bulbs, I think, unless I want grass in my garden. They are all fairly surrounded. Will this hurt the plants at all?