Picea breweriana

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers) Photo Gallery' started by chimera, Oct 4, 2007.

1. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

"Brewer's Weeping Spruce". Pics Oct. 04/07. Seemed slow to establish, growth 6''-8'' {15-20 cm.} a year here. Gets large.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

See Gerald Straley's Vancouver tree book for location of much larger specimen visible from street (if still present).

3. chimera

OK, thanks Ron, nice young one in the Alpine garden at UBC, which might make a better pic.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  4. Ron B

There is a large-parted form that has been on the local market that yours looks like it may be. I believe when I first saw it there was labeling to indicate it was a selection originating with Wells nursery in Mt Vernon, WA. A.L. Jacobson, NORTH AMERICAN LANDSCAPE TREES (Ten Speed Press, 1996) wrote that their introduction appeared not to differ from usual in aspect, but as I have said I think it has noticeably larger parts, producing a somewhat coarser, more robust appearance than ordinary seedlings may tend to present.

5. chimera

Don't know if this would be the same selection made by Wells nursery, possible though, see they have an introduction named Picea breweriana 'Mountain Magic'. Believe this one pictured is a selection, as it was grafted. It came from Adera Nurseries, Sydney, B.C. which went out of business 5-7 years ago. Adera didn't give it a cultivar name, but they were selling a labeled Cedrus libani 'Green Prince' that I believe was a Wells introduction. Thinking Adera would have given this spruce a cultivar name if it was from Wells, but maybe not. Not a seedling, anyways, and haven't noticed any others in the retail outlets with which to make a comparison.

6. jaro_in_montreal

jaro_in_montreal Active Member

Looks pretty much like my two P.b.'s from Iseli -- though yours is a bit bigger, and obviously well established (I only planted mine two years ago).
    Also, mine are not grafts, as far as I can tell....

7. chimera

It's almost a blue-green. Adera's 1997-1998 catalogue stated "very slow in the beginning... H. 1m { 3'} in ten years". Nice tree to have well positioned when first planting. This one is in a fairly moist well drained area with morning shade in summer and generally shaded throughout the winter. Might have been interesting to have had another one in full sun to see the difference in performance, maybe more green then, but they need some space.. Would think Iseli would have a selected variety Jaro. I really don't know how variable this species can be and see Iseli gives a 10 year H. 10' {3m.}. Maybe you will be able to enjoy younger aged trees as they develop their characteristics sooner.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here's the young one in the Alpine garden, five years since the original request. It was accessioned in 1977.

Attached Files:

9. Ron B

Probably rootbound, as it looks to have fallen completely over at one point. Twisting of shoots and branches not typical.

10. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's quite frequent on cultivated specimens in Britain. I'll have to check my pics from the Siskiyou Mts to see if it happens at all in the wild.

11. Ron B

I've seen kinks on others, but I don't remember any as busy as this one.