Plumeria and Brugmansia

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by DandyLioness, Mar 6, 2007.

1. DandyLioness

DandyLioness Active Member

These are my main passions. Is there anyone one here who shares this passion? I'd like to exchange plants etc with someone who's interested.

Thanks.

BTW - It's my first nite here, so I hope that I'm not over stepping any boundaries.

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Welcome! I've never grown Plumeria since over-wintering a frost sensitive tree is rather difficult around these parts.
    Brugmansia on the other hand is generally easy, and can be cut back, grown from cuttings and seems more manageable in the garden. Often these will regrow from last seasons roots but never really gain any substantial size to flower again. Rooted cutting can be placed out each year.
    How do you winter your Plumeria?

Cheers, LPN.

3. DandyLioness

LPN, I simply bring the Plumeria indoors. They will drop their leaves and will become dormant, until you begin to water and feed them again in the late winter (or spring).
    Mine are perking up now and new leaves are forming.

This is one of my Plumies from last summer...

Jul 16 2006.jpg

4. palmera

palmera Active Member

DL, that's a gorgeous coloured blossom. I have always found the plumeria a fascinating plant. I have seen them on my travels South and wondered how such a beautiful flower can come from an otherwise dowdy shrub. Do you grow the traditional white/yellow one as well?

5. DandyLioness

I have the white with yellow ones as well, but since I grew those from seed last year, they hadn't bloomed yet. Hopefully, I'll see the bloom this summer or next.

The one I posted above has the most delightfull fragrance!

6. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

"I simply bring the Plumeria indoors" .... ahhh DandyLioness, you had me wondering since we're posting on the Outdoor Tropicals (Palms, Cycads, etc.). Now I know your "indoor" secrect. Nice pic by the way, are they fragrant?

Cheers, LPN.

7. DandyLioness

Oopsie! Sorry about posting in the wrong area... being new, I'm still getting my bearings.

Yes, they are super fragrant.

I guess they truly ARE outdoor tropicals... but you have to overwinter them indoors.. so perhaps I DID post in the right area.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  8. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

my neighbours have some brugmanias. i think they are likely hybrids, but i do not know this genus well. do you keep any "pure" species. ie no hybrids? i would love to grow some of these as they were from the wild. do yours ever set seed in canada? I put mine out while in canada (victoria as well) but it died over winter.

9. DandyLioness

Kada, I have one true brugmansia with variegated leaves. I can't recall the name, but it had "sunset" in the name. All my others have been grown from seed. This year I found out how to collect seeds and even try to hybridize the, so I'm going to experiment. I chopped mine down into pieces and brought them indoors before the frost. I have many many plants this year.

DSC03642.jpg

DSC03644.jpg

This is my blue Iochroma with some Plumies

DSC03643.jpg

10. Padraigan

Padraigan Active Member

How nice! I enjoyed looking at your little jungle. Glad to see that I am not the only one taking up all the empty little spaces with new plants.