Ukigumo or Murakumo?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by rufretic, Apr 29, 2012.

1. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

I can't decide so I figure some of you have them both or at least have seen them both.

Which do you like better?
    Which is more consistently white?
    Does one have better spring or fall color?
    How much sun do they need to color up well?
    Will either burn in 3 hours of mid-day full sun?

Thanks!

2. pat bateman

pat bateman Member

I only have Ukigumo but I keep it against a North facing wall so it never gets any direct sun. From what I've read here that is the way to maintain the white colour and they start to green out when exposed to direct sunlight so I'd say the shadier the better.

Mine is pure white in Spring and doesn't change colour in Autumn.

3. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hello

Murakumo is much more light sensative than Ukigumo. I have seen rows of Ukigumos in the baking sun of Oregon. I would say you can not easily compare the two trees. Ukigumo is white is much cleaner white than Murakumo but it is not one of the prettier structured trees. The leaves of Murakumo are much more of traditional in look to a palmatum. I really love the look and feel of Murakumo in a shady location but I would always have a Ukigumo in a focal part of my garden.

4. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'll probably be better off with the Ukigumo for the spot I'm looking for now. It's deffinetly a focal spot and does get a couple hours of direct sun, I'll just have to hope it's not enough to green it out. I could always move it if it does because I have a ton of full shade spots to fill. I'll eventually get a Murakumo for one of those spots as well.

5. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

My Ukigumo turns more pink in the sun

6. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

I'm ok with that ;-) It actually sounds pretty darn good. I've seen a few pics where the top leaves look like they have a pinkish color, it looks great.

7. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

I have several of both plants, but Ukigumo can be SPECTACULAR and I strongly
    recommend you get one. I agree with all of what has been said but my Ukigumo's
    take serious sun whereas Marakumo will not take serious sun. The Ukigumo's look
    awesome this spring and I just moved one (I keep most plants in pots so I can move
    them) to a focal point in my front yard and IT GLOWS - I literally can see at night from
    my bedroom window. My summer temps are mostly mid 80's to 100+ maybe 5 times a year
    but my Ukigumo's will not necessarily burn if I keep them well watered. It may take a season
    for them to reach this acclimitization. The only negative with Ukigumo is some seasons it will
    almost look like a different plant - much more subdued with more green and much less vibrant
    white. Marakumo is lovely but much less white - it is speckled (what the Japanese call 'fu') - and
    it coloration is an ongoing work in progress. A very subtle maple. Good luck & have fun with them!

8. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

I got the Ukigumo, awesome little tree and already showing cool varigation and leaf form. I was hoping to find one a little bigger but the only ones I found were 3 gallon. I'm hoping it doesn't grow too slow. Here are some pics, ignore the weeds, I still have a ton of work to do in this bed but I wanted to get it in the ground as soon as possible.

Attached Files: