willow tree parasites ( organic garden )

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by L J, Jul 16, 2008.

1. L J

L J Member

I have five willow trees on my property located in the Interior. As far as I can tell only one has these red parasites on the leaves. What are my options for getting rid of them....or do I need to get rid of them? They appear as larger red capsuls on the underside of the leaves. My yard is organic and next to fish breeding foreshore......lj

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

I'm not sure what kind of willow you have but it looks pretty good. The middle photo is a little blurry. How big are those red spots? Have you tried scraping one off? Could it be insect scale?

Willows are very important to wildlife. According to my Naturescape BC bookjlet, many months and butterflies use willows for larval food source.

3. L J

L J Member

I am not sure what kind this willow is either. I do know for sure it is not a weeping willow and I do know that it is indigenious to this area. I didn't know about the butterflies...this does explain why we have so many in our back yard. The parasites on the leaves look like lady bugs with white spots.....yes you can pick them off. Any ideas on what to do with them.

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  5. growing4it

The sawfly gall on Salix lasiandra on the 2nd website kind of looks like LJ's photo.

6. growing4it

I've got a Salix 'tortuosa' that is getting less and less twisty. It is however, a happy home to many ladybugs (and some aphids). I did a quick count last night and easily spotted 8 ladybugs in a 1m x .5m area of tree canopy.