Palm trees and cats

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by chiefsfan41, Jan 11, 2007.

1. chiefsfan41

chiefsfan41 Member

I need to know if palm trees are poisonous to cats. I know there are several types of palm trees. Are any of them safe for cats? Thanks for your help!

2. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

from what i have read most houseplants are poisonus to cats dogs and even people ( mostly with children and elderly). they are only poison if they are ingested. some cats do like to munch on house plants taht look liek grass and what i have seen people do is put soem cayanne pepper around the pot of the plant. also what i have done to keep my cat away form my plants is to sray her with cold water.. ( she tryed to eat my dragon tree when she was a kitten adn one shot fo the water she handt gone near ne of them).

3. palmera

palmera Active Member

I can only speak from experience here (unfortunately). During my absence last week my big male house cat found his way onto my FULL windowsill and knocked off several 1 gallon palms. Various trachys and sabals, mostly. He munched them down, barfed them back up, and is otherwise no worse for wear. Not the case for the palms!

4. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

lol wow guess its back from sratch

5. chiefsfan41

chiefsfan41 Member

Thanks for your replies. I read in another thread to peel an orange and put the peels on top of the dirt because cats hate citrus. So I'm going to try that too.
    Thanks Again!!!

6. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

orange peels do work.. cats hate the citrus... also another thing i found that works great on pets is the caned air that you use for your computers .. if you are around and they are chewing or near the plants or something you dont want them to be around.. just give them a lil burst of air .. it dont have to be directly on them .. just from a distance.. that scares them good and it dont hurt them .. alot better then squirting your cat with water near your computer .. :)

Marn

7. cookie_mccool

cookie_mccool Active Member

According to my experience, while palms are not toxic to cats, cats are VERY toxic to palms. The problem with the citrus peel trick is that you need a constant supply of fresh peels and after a while you start to feel like you're living in a garbage heap. Plus, some freak cats actually like the stuff.

8. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

You can try using bounce sheets (the scented ones can work), double sided tape on areas where the cat will have to walk to get to your plants or if you have one of those yoga exercize balls you can use the handheld air pump to freak out the cats. The air pump works for my sister seeing as her cats aren't afraid of anything else it's great.

Good luck,

-Ryan