A very large Jade plant and mealybugs

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by wdr2wdr, May 7, 2006.

1. wdr2wdr

wdr2wdr Member

I have a jade plant almost 6 feet tall with a trunk almost 5 inches thick. I've been fighting a mealybug infestation without much luck for over a year now. First I tried to squash them all. Didn't work. Last year I took the plant out on my deck and sprayed it with soapy water. All of the leaves fell off several days later. I thought I had killed it, but new leaves did slowly grow back over the next several months . . . and new mealybugs. Then I tried rubbling alcohol on a q-tip. Didn't work. I sprayed almost the whole plant with rubbing alcohol and this, too, failed. The plant's just too big for squashing or q-tipping with alcohol. I can't find all of the mealybugs and they just come back again. I can't take the plant to a nursery because it's so big and heavy I can't pick it up or get it down the flight of stairs, let alone get it in my car. Is there anything I can do to beat this infestation without killing the plant I've had for 25 years? Is there a systemic I can use? Is there something I can spray it with? Is there another answer?

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Sounds as though a systemic is your answer. A number of these where banned or taken off the market recently. I haven't had to shop for any lately so I'm not sure what to recommend. All I have is the old banned stuff and it really works.

3. wdr2wdr

wdr2wdr Member

Which of the banned systemics works on jade plants? Is it possible to obtain a it of the stuff? Any suggestions where or how? I really want to save this plant. thank you!

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd prefer if this discussion was steered back toward legal means of dealing with the pest.

5. wdr2wdr

wdr2wdr Member

I described four legal methods (squash the bugs, use a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol, spray the whole plant with rubbing alcohol, spray it with water) I have tried and the unsatisfactory results (no discernable efffect, no discernable effect, no discernable effect, all the leaves fall off) obtained. Are there other legal approaches I can take that can be expected to tip the scales in my favor?

6. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm pretty sure many of the products that are no longer available are not illegal. You can use what you already own, but you just can't buy it now.

7. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello,

Unfortunately I cannot speak from experience, however I have a few suggestions. Endall is an all natural safers product that may work. Also I came across something called kaolin clay which was recommended for use to control mealy bugs. This article describes how it works. It indicates that it is not available in Canada, however since 2003 (when the article was published), it is registered and available. Good luck.

Raakel

8. jadegrower

jadegrower Member

Hi

If you still have time before frost arives here is cool way to rid that pant of mealy bugs. I happen to grow jades and have 72 of them ...yes sir a bit obsessed you might say.

Take the plant carefully outside and find where small ants live ..near sandy area. within a very short time you will see these little ants scampering all over the plant with these bugs in their tentacles. You need to leave it a while because the eggs of those mealy bugs are waiting to hatch. The next generation of mealy bug will be eaten up before thy have a chance to reporduce. The ants sense this and hang around till it happens. Sounds like a weird remedy but it works. I have very very healthy palnts and i live in NYC area. My dilemna now is that I have to move! Ugh!

9. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

I am from India & I use Dimethoate, a systemic insecticide (1ml. to 1 ltr. of water). Since it is a systemic, one must spray the underside of the leaves thoroughly. I do not know, if it is banned in your country.