Zucchini Flowers

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by IslandGirl, Sep 5, 2006.

1. IslandGirl

IslandGirl Member

I am trying to gain as much information on picking the Zucchini flower.
    Can I pick both the male and female flowers once they get large enough or will I affect the growth of the fruit? I feel that if I pick the flower on the end of the zucchini that I will stop the fruit from growing.
    I appreciate any information you are able to provide.

2. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

The females are the "baby zucchinis"..you wont hurt the plant it will keep trying to reproduce by forming more flowers. The males are especially nice in a vase, try to pick them at night and look for the ones that have a small pucker at the base..these are the ones that will open for you in the morning. male and female. Deb

3. joecat

joecat Active Member

I was hoping this thread was about picking zucchini flowers for eating!
    How many plants do you need to get a decent harvest (say a dozen) of zucchini flowers? Then can you leave them to flower again to get a harvest of zucchini?

4. Cindi

Cindi Active Member

I have had experience eating squash buds, flowers, I find that the butternut squash are far more favourful than the zucchini buds. They are a summertime culinary treat around here. I usually plant 4 or 5 (or sometimes more) plants, for the bees and our own fresh bud eating. We seem to pick and pick, both female and male flower buds and have never seemed to harm the production of fruit. I always have so much more fruit on the vines than we could ever eat, even if I saved and stored it away for winter, in whatever manner I happen to be preserving with. I would say that if you only want a dozen flower buds, plant only one plant, the vine does take up a lot of room. If you have the room, plant more. I find with squashes and cukes, the more you pick, it appears the more they will give to you.

Cindi

5. joecat

joecat Active Member

Thanks Cindi! I'll give butternut squash flowers a try next year.