Chrysanthemums

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by lily, Sep 18, 2009.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

Hi all, I purchased (2) chrysanthemum plants from our local nursery about 3 weeks ago. This is what is written on the tag.
    "Helen" > Garden Mum > Full Sun Early> What does Full Sun Early mean? (morning sun only?)

I planted each one in a large ceramic pot outside. They are doing well, although I noticed some of the blooms are fading. Is this normal? Do I cut them off?

Can I remove them from their pots and plant them in the ground on the west (sunny side of my home) or would it be too hot for them in the afternoon? If so, when do I transplant them. I have no idea if they are annuals or perennials. Any help or information on these would be appreciated. Oh yes, how do I prevent them from becoming leggy? Thanks a million for your help.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

"Early" is the flowering time. Full sun and good drainage for mums, the sage-like grayish foliage hints at their requirements. Short-growing garden varieties should not need it, but if you have any florist types pinching out the growing tips in spring and summer can promote branching.

As with many other herbaceous perennials spent blooms have to be removed during the flowering season, entire spent stems cut off and cleared away to maintain tidiness.

Slugs like mums even more than I do, this affection manifests itself in gnawing and destruction of the overwintering growth nubs. Take preventative measures or your plants will vanish mysteriously.

3. lily

Thank you Ron. This really helps me. When would be a good time for me to transplant them into the ground? Slugs? Uggh ~ You should see what they just did to my winter pansies. lol

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Plant out at time of purchase, unless it would be easier to keep them watered in the pots when acquired during summer (flowering specimens intended for outdoor use seem to be on offer for a much longer span of time than just the fall season these days).

Cold is not a problem, just winter damp (and the slugs that abound in damp places).

5. lily

Okay Ron. I appreciate all your help on this. I think I'll just leave them in the pots until their finished.

6. lily

Well, I kept the mums in their large ceramic pots over winter. I just noticed this morning that there is new growth coming up at the base, but some of the old dead stuff is still there. I never watered them over the winter because the soil pretty much stayed wet from the rains. Should I cut off all the dead branches now or should I wait until say..March or April? Looks to me like they survived the winter in the containers. Now, I just need to know what I should be doing with them so they'll look good again. Thanks everyone. Ron?