How dangerous is this plant? Jimson Weed; Devil's Apple;

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by davidlee, Aug 17, 2006.

1. davidlee

davidlee Member

I have a huge Datura (Jimson Weed; Devil's Apple; Devil's Weed) with about 40 blooms a night, right out in front of my house next to my front porch steps and I have a 2yr old boy and a 3yr old girl that plays on the front porch and passes right next to them. Is it safe for them or should I move them right away?

2. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

all parts of plant are toxic and can be fatal.

3. davidlee

davidlee Member

thank you very much!!

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I have brugmansia, (same kind of toxic problems) I keep mine well away from my two yea old, I'd lke to think she wouldn't go for it, but you never know. Theres lots of poisonous plants in the garden, you can google for lists.

5. davidlee

davidlee Member

Thank you Very much. Would any one know how to move the Datura without damaging it? It's my pride and joy. It's just so awsome to see and smells awsome.

6. davidlee

davidlee Member

Here is a pic of it Sunday night.
    Dsc00555.jpg

7. shelli

shelli Active Member

Are you sure thats Jimson Weed? The leaves don't look like the right shape. However, that definitely looks like a two-year-old on the right! :-) That's a fun age, isn't it?

8. davidlee

davidlee Member

From what I understand it is?¿ I really hope it's not! And if it isn't, I really like the plant it is.:) The person who gave me the starter said it was a moonbeam. I thought moonbeams look kinda like a Daisy. What other plants have the white trumpet that blooms at night, with the spiked seed pod? If you can help me find out what it is, I would love to know.
    Fun? You must have lots of hair. Cuz at 2yrs old they made me pull all my hair out. And I wouldn't change it for the world.

Thanks for everything

9. shelli

shelli Active Member

I'm not that good at plant identification. It's just that every picture I've seen of Jimson Weed had leaves with irregular teeth similar to an oak leaf. Your plants leaves look smooth, shaped like an elms. If you'd like to know (for sure) what it is, post a picture of it in the Plant Identification forum here at UBC. Those guys/gals are great at identifying plants!!!!!! Although, even if it's not Jimson Weed, a lot of the nightshades are poisonous anyhow. I have some poisonous things in my yard: bittersweet, rhubarb leaves, and probably more I don't even know about, but fortunately our 2-year-old has stopped putting most things in his mouth... except food (and I watch him like a hawk). I do have SOME hair left. :-) It's probably impossible to get all posionous plants, berries, flowers and so on out of the yard. I'm hoping we can teach him what to touch and what not to touch with some success since I can't follow him around his whole childhood. (Lest I lose all my hair!) Your plant IS very pretty. I wonder if Mountain Ash berries are poisonous. Something else to worry about. ;-)

10. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

It is datura, they don't all have the exact same leaves and flowers.

11. davidlee

davidlee Member

thank you both Very much!!