5 May, 2012 - It's not over yet

Discussion in 'Vancouver Cherry Blog' started by wcutler, May 5, 2012.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I was so surprised to come back from ten days in Washington, DC and find that I hadn't missed everything. There are still lots of blossoms around town. There was not a blossom to be seen in Washington (ok, there were three blossoms total). Maybe they don't grow 'Shirofugen' there - I know they had a very early year this year, but still, 'Shirofugen' should be good for a month. Here, many of the 'Kanzan' still have some colour, particularly in North Van and the colder areas of Vancouver, and the 'Shirofugen' look excellent almost everywhere (and are not yet in bloom up the mountain at Simon Fraser University). 'Kiku-zakura' is looking good, as is 'Hizakura'. 'Amanogawa' and 'Shujaku' are past their prime but are attractive from a short distance.

Joseph Lin was busy while we were gone. He found only the second known 'Jo-nioi' individual in town (these are Joseph's photos),
    20120423_RCMP_WhiteDouble_JosephLin_2049_resize.jpg 20120423_RCMP_WhiteDouble_JosephLin_2053_resize.jpg

and the jury is still out on whether its companion tree is just the best-looking 'Takasago' in town, or something else entirely (also Joseph's photos).
    20120423_RCMP_PinkDouble_JosephLin_2027_resize.jpg 20120423_RCMP_PinkDouble_JosephLin_1170110_resize.jpg

Nadia in White Rock has documented a tree Douglas Justice knew about that might or might not be 'Imose', a new cultivar for our list (Nadia's photos).
    20120428_12674-17Ave_Imose-Unknown_NadiaWhiteRock-.jpg 20120428_12674-17Ave_Imose-Unknown_NadiaWhiteRock7.JPG

Nadia also found a Korean Hill Cherry, in my own 'hood, no less.

Now I'm off for another week, and really don't expect to find anything other than 'Shirofugen' in bloom when I return.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Any possibility of the "Imose" being 'Hokusai'? There are a few of those down here, including a large one in Point Defiance Park, which was still partly in flower yesterday, when two of us drove by on the way from Vashon to the Tacoma Dome.

If the 'Jo-nioi' turns out to be the same as the provisional 'Hosokawa-nioi' down here then there are multiple examples, often mixed with 'Shirotae', in Seattle, and another at a Post Office regional center near me in Edmonds. However, as shown in photos of Vancouver specimens the 'Jo-nioi' looks to have more petite parts.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Nadia captured the flower with the two pistils, which is a feature Kuitert (Japanese Flowering Cherries) mentions for 'Imose', not for 'Hokusai'. We're waiting for cherries to see if double cherries are common.

In Washington, we saw a wonderful exhibit of Katsushika Hokusai's "Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji," at the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery through June 16.