Lemon Tree in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by catcat22, Apr 22, 2007.

1. catcat22

catcat22 Member

I am located in Markham area and I am thinking about planting a lemon tree in the backyard (full-sun environment). Is it a good idea at all to plant a lemon tree here? Is it too cold? Will it survive? For minimal maintenance, what type of lemon tree and size should I look for? I tend to like something that grows to around 10 ft maximum.

Thanks.

2. islandweaver

islandweaver Active Member

Would I be correct in guessing that you are in a Zone 6 or 7? Any lemon trees I've seen here in Canada are, I believe, Zone 8 or 9. I have had an Improved Myers lemon for a couple of years and leave it out, along with a Calamondin and a Bearrs Lime, during the winter. However, I am in a micro-climate Zone 9. Even with that, I bring them inside whenever we anticipate more than a couple of degrees of frost or a prolonged freezing spell. I think the trees would be fine, but I would lose the fruit which doesn't mature until spring.

I place the pots holding my citrus "grove" under the north eaves of the house over the winter to prevent the roots from rotting in our wet winters. They go dormant from November until April when I put them back out into the sunshine. At the moment my little 2' high x 3' wide Improved Meyers has eighteen lemons on it, all looking very healthy and turning yellow. I also have quite a few bloosoms buds ready to pop. You might consider a system similar to mine but with more winter protection if you really want a lemon tree badly.

Diane

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

In Southern Ontario, a Lemon tree would best serve it's summers outdoors and winters in a frost free & bright location. Given those requirements, pot culture is most practical.

Simon

4. vlacroix

vlacroix Member

I live in Toronto, and I have been growing limes and lemons for quite a few years. I put them outside in the spring and bring them indoors after the thanks giving week-end for the winter. Some people put them under a grow-light for the winter, but I just put them near a sunny window and water occasionally.