odd smell detected while hiking in the Chilcotins

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by howesoundlover, Jul 20, 2009.

1. howesoundlover

howesoundlover Member

A group of friends and I were hiking, camping and mountain biking in the Chilcotins. I have a very sensitive nose and right from the start I noticed an off smell at certain areas of the trail. I smelled it around Spruce lake and on the many treed trails around that area. At first it appeared to be like a fungi smell, wet diapers, sweaty underwear , or semen smell. I asked other people if they identified it too and others in our group were smelling this. We smiffed arounds at hanging moss, at the lichen on the trunk of the pines, etc.. but it was not the cause of the smell. We looked around and did not really see mushrooms or any plants that looked to be responsible. I have become obsessed to find what was the plant that caused this smell. The forests around the Spruce lake area have a lot of pines. In the more humid areas is where we noticed. If anyone has an idea to solve this mystery, please let me know.

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not to my mind smelling like your description (yeasty or semen-like) but moist or wet places in the coastal area often have patches of skunk cabbage. Otherwise maybe it was an anaerobic decay product (gas) being emanated by swamps.