The ice plant "Aptenia cv Red Apple"

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by bjo, Jun 11, 2008.

1. bjo

bjo Active Member 10 Years

Hi people,

I have an "Aptenia" which may be the cultivar "Red Apple". I have three questions:

1. Several sources on the web suggest "Red Apple" is a bigeneric cross between Aptenia cordifolia and Platythyra haeckeliana. If this is the case, what is its proper scientific name for this plant....or has it not yet been formally named?

2. The same web sources say that "Red Apple" is distinguished from the species Aptenia cordifolia by having darker red flowers. However, the colour of flowers shown on the web is rather variable. So, question2...is any one growing both the true species and "Red Apple" and could they put photos of both on the forum so I could compare? [While I think of it, a photo of Platythyra haeckeliana would be interesting]

3. What other features, if any, distinguish the two plants?

Your thoughts and expertise appreciated,
    Ciao,
    BrianO

2. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

The former genus Platythyra has been united with Aptenia, so it is now considered an interspecific not an intergeneric hybrid. Aptenia haeckeliana has yellow flowers and elliptical leaves and is sometimes offered in the trade incorrectly as a yellow flowered form of Aptenia cordifolia.

Note that cultivar names are properly represented in single quotes.

Although it usually come true from seed, to get genuine 'Red Apple', it should be propagated entirely from stem cuttings only. A white flowered selection derived from the hybrid has been named 'Sunny Sue'.

Many of the pix seen on the internet as Aptenia cordifolia are actually misidentified 'Red Apple'.

'Red Apple' is easily distinguished from Aptenia cordifolia by its larger red flowers, larger plant size and the leaves more elliptical in shape rather than strongly cordate (heart shaped). The true Aptenia cordifolia has purple not red flowers and strongly cordate leaves.

3. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/genus.pl?15983

What little I could find would suggest that Aptenia and Platythyra are synonyms. If this is true, then using the names interchangeably should expand the search. However, I was unable to find information on an Aptenia haekeliana or a Platythyra cordifolia. I can see your frustration with attempting to sort all of this out. The internet seems to be lacking in the information you are seeking.

4. bjo

bjo Active Member 10 Years

Dear Mark (?),

thanks for your efforts and thoughts. I should have considered the possibility that Platythyra was a synonym. A search on Aptenia haeckeliana (NB there is a "c" before the "k") has proved very useful. The most useful fact is perhaps that A. haeckeliana has yellow flowers...so no risk of confusing it with A. cordifolia or "Red Apple".

Thanks for the lead!

..when all is said and done,...perhaps I should just relax and enjoy the plant!

ciao,
    BrianO

5. qbudd

qbudd Member

I have both red aptenia cordifolia and Yellow platythyra haeckeliana. I have been in search of the origin Yellow platythyra haeckeliana. I live in California and There are only Red apple aptenia cordifolia everywhere but No! Yellow Platythyra haeckeliana which is growing in my yard along with my Red apple/aptenia cordifolia. Have you ever seen this plant?

6. senjanevada

senjanevada Member

Hi guys, I wonder if those of you who have Aptenia Haeckeliana willing to trade or to sale it to me. I've been dreaming to have Yellow Aptenia as well as White Aptenia. I have the Purple Aptenia and the Aptenia Cordifolia and also Aptenia Variagate. Let me know. Thanks.