Propagation: Crown of Thorns from Cuttings

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by HK77, Jan 2, 2009.

1. HK77

HK77 Active Member

Hi,
    I'm new to plant propagation and want to know some details about propagating "Crown of Thorns" from cuttings. I live in a tropical country and now, day temperature about 26C in shade and 35-40C in direct sun light and night temperature about 19-22C.

I've already done 2 cuttings from my main plant. One cutting is 2 week old in a black plastic bag and other is 1 week old. I've sprayed the sand in that bags with a household water sprayer 2 times a day and never watered them till today. Some of the lower leaves have dropped and only 4-5 leaves remain and those remaining leaves also seem somewhat flabby and weak but the tip of my cuttiing is still green.

The question I want to know is when I can start watering and start fertilizing my plant as I have used mainly sand in the bag and so I'm afraid the plant will be starved. Some people says early watering can make the root rot. So, I want to know the time when I can water them and how much. Next, when I can move my cuttings to the light as now they all are in complete shade. Next, when I can be sure that I can move them to a pot and properly plant them.

Sorry for many questions,
    Thanks & Regards,
    HK77

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: Propagating Crown of Throns from Cuttings

Found this HK,
    I am assuming it is a Euphorbia

"Propagate from cuttings in spring or summer, but ensure the succulent species dry out and callous over and completely stop bleeding before placing them in barely damp sand.
    "
    http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1809101.htm

Liz

3. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Re: Propagating Crown of Throns from Cuttings

Hey,
    I've been propping these for a while now. Take your cuttings and lay them out in a dry, shady spot for 2-3 days. Once the cut has sealed use a +3/4 potting mix -1/4 sand. Too much sand will actually deter root growth and hold too much moisture. This is where good soil drainage is most important because they will rot in heavy soils. Add some slow release into the mix if you want to be sure there is nutrient for uptake. They will need to be watered properly not just misted. Here I can water them first thing in the morning at this time of year and they'll be dry by the next morning. I don't soak them but ensure that I've gotten some moisture into the soil. I use large tubes about 2 inches across and 3 deep. All my cacti and succulent cuttings/seedlings are under 70% shade cloth.
    I leave my cuttings in these tubes for at least 6mths until a decent amount of root is showing through the base of the pot. As the roots show you can increase your watering and give the plants a good daily drenching. I give them monthly foliar feeds until they are ready for potting on.
    Place into 5 or 6 inch pots after 6 months and try and use the cooler time of year to sun-harden your cuttings. Be sure to add slow release fertiliser this time in top inch of soil. Repot every 6-12 mths top dress (fertilise) with an organic fertiliser every 2 months.
    Just be sure to not let them get too wet before there is a good amount of rot showing.
    You could also collect seed from the plants. They have seperate male and female flowers. Picture 1 is of the seed pod forming, it's very fine seed and not the easiest to work with though. With a little mucking around cross-pollinating is possible although some hybrids are not sterile.

Attached Files: