Brown Crunchy Leaves on holly

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by marrickard, Aug 23, 2005.

1. marrickard

marrickard Member

We are in Chicago, we just purchased 2 bushes I believe are Blue Princess around Fathers day. They did wonderful outside for a couple months. Then Mid July some leaves were turning yellow and falling off. Then Leaves started to turn brown and fall off. I just dug up the tree and roots appear to be healthy. I've searched the tree for any signs of bugs (nothing). 2 days ago spoke to someone and they said to try cover for plant which was a form of spray, which will allow leaves and plant to hold in moisture. Scrapped a couple branches here and the trees seems to be green. Gave the trees also acid fertilizer (Mircale Gro). How soon will new leaves sprout? Im not sure if im just not giving enough time for the revival or is there more to the problem? Ask 2 other boards they could not help. These plants are also potted in very enormous potters. (with holes for drainage.) Any help will be appreciated.

2. Diane W.

Diane W. Active Member

Hollies can have a variety of problems of which I don't have enough knowledge to advise you. However I note you have them in planters. However big the planters are, the hollies will eventually have to be planted in the ground as they grow huge.
    Also, you say the both plants are Princess Holly. This is a female holly and you need a male - Prince Holly planted close by if you want to get berries.
    I'm sure you can find info. about your problem elsewhere in this forum.

3. LindaB

LindaB Member

Thank you! I didn't have an answer to what possibly could be wrong. Last year I bought a Holly Blue Girl. She did fine until this spring. Now she has crunchy brown edged leaves. This year, just on a whim I bought a Holly Blue Boy. I had no idea if it was the type of plant that needed a partner. That's one question I had. I'm going to transplant her closer to the boy. Then pray it works!!!
    If anyone can help with the browning leaves, I would love the information!
    Linda

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

What kind of soil are they growing in - clay, sand, loam, ?? You might asking for help at the nursery where you got the plants - maybe they'll replace them, or at least have some idea of what's wrong.

5. LindaB

LindaB Member

Hi Rima! I thank you for your speedy reply. We have a variety of soils around here. One never knows what it's going to be until you start digging. The soil the holly bushes are planted in is pretty good soil. I've had no problems with even roses in that area of my yard so I really don't think it's the soil. I bought both of them at Duckwall's. I've never had any problems with their plants---this may be the first! I doubt they would replace or refund for one after a year has gone by.
    Thank you for your thoughts! I didn't expect to hear from anyone this soon!
    Take care!
    Linda