Culinary: shiso or perilla

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by Deby, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Deby

Deby Member

Hi,

I live in Vancouver, BC and really want to grow perilla or shiso because I love the flavor it imparts in some dishes. I am a novice gardener and am curious to know whether it is possible to grow in Vancouver and whether anybody has experience cultivating it. Also, I was wondering if anybody could give me a local source as to where I may obtain the seeds/plant to propagate.

Thanks

2. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Hi,
    I don't know about Vancouver but shiso is very easy to grow, its like weed in my little garden, I only wanted to keep 4 plants but each year they came back hundreds from seeds. My little garden only get morning sun and i used fish emulsion fertilizer. I don't know if it's legal to send seeds, I have plenty to share...

3. norapie

norapie Member

Hi there,

Did you have any luck regarding the perilla? I just moved to Vancouver and am looking for the fresh leaves for cooking, or plants/seeds/seedlings for growing. Please let me know if you found any!!

4. CWJ

CWJ Member

5. beverly

beverly Member

6. Richard Goold

Richard Goold New Member

red Shiso is a controlable weed. Green Shiso requires 75-80 degree temps to germinate. I grow both.

7. Wystan Hugh

Wystan Hugh New Member

Hi Richard - if you are in the area and have or will have extra red shiso, I would love to buy some for pickling from you - or anyone else that has extra.