Autumn Blaze Transplant Shock

Discussion in 'Maples' started by newbie2this, Jul 3, 2007.

1. newbie2this

newbie2this Member

I bought an Autumn Blaze a little over a month ago. It was fine when we picked it out at the nursery. (The trunk is about 3 inches in diameter and about 15 feet tall.) When they delivered it, the leaves were wilted. I didn't see when they pulled up, but I think it was open truck delivery. The rootball was wrapped in burlap and that was how it was displayed at the nursery.

We watered once a week, more when it was in the 90's. Now all of the leaves on the top half turned brown and dropped. It seems like there is twig dieback throughout the crown, but I'm not sure since it is up so high. The bottom half wilt recovered, but the top is completely gone.

We had the nursery come look at the tree and because the bottom half looks fine, they won't replace. We have a one year guarantee. She scratched off some bark on the lower branches and said it was still green. She says it will probably grow back next year.

What do I do? I'm sick to my stomach over this because of the cost of this tree. Will it really grow back if it has lost this many leaves? Literally, the top half has no leaves. Do I fertilize to promote root growth? Do I fertilize to promote leaf growth? What products should I use? Will it get a second growth of leaves this year? Is my tree a goner? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

one once a week is a little water in this period the rigth water is every 2/3 DAYS if the dreinage is good ,no fertilize in this period is good in autum whit natural fertilize (cow or hourse)cut the branch dry ;however in this forum there is an old thread "how plant maple trees well"is interesting ,any questions :your PH is? ,you use pine bark around trunk?,have pics of your maple ? if yes send pics ,please reply alex

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Really sounds like it got dried out before you got it, and soil ball is not being re-moistened all the way through by subsequent efforts. See many drooping large, field-grown maples on new commercial projects here. These may be delivered and sit around on site for some time before planting, without adequate provision for successful storage in meantime. Apparently allowed to dry out while waiting for planting, these do not bounce back right away after installation. Irrigation systems are set to keep plants already moist that way, rather than soak dried out large rootballs.

4. newbie2this

newbie2this Member

Here are some pics. Any leaves that you see at the top are dead (completely brown). If there is twig dieback, do I prune it off? Also, when I was watering once a week, we were getting rainfall in addition along the lines of 1/2-1 inch once or twice a week and temps were in the 70's for the most part.

One other comment... the leaves in general seem very small compared to other maples. Is this normal?

Attached Files:

5. newbie2this

newbie2this Member

The lighting is better in these pics.

Attached Files:

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

No point in keeping dead bits. If you get it to make new leaves and start to come back, only to blight off again later take samples to local Illinois Extension office. Maples are prone to dieback diseases.

7. alex66

hi you see any buds green on branch ?If yes for me the tree is in stress for planted ,the small leaved in this fase is normal for me....

8. newbie2this

newbie2this Member

No green buds. Do maples grow new leaves after the initial spring growth?

9. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

A large tree like this at the cost has to be covered by warranty
    In spite of what the Nursery says I think they are liable
    Insist that they take it back and replace or re-imburse you

10. Andrzej

Andrzej Active Member

Whis4ey is right!
    You do not want this tree in this condition at all!
    You should have 1 year warranty so do not wait any longer.

11. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

At best the nursery is acting in bad faith. You don't pay $100 for a tree to end up with one that's worth $10...

Small leaves are normal, indicating high stress. Often occurs during the first year, nothing to worry about. I think your watering regime sounds fine.

-E

12. Andrzej

Andrzej Active Member

Dig about 4 in to check your soil around the tree, but not too close so you do not hit the roots. The soil should be moist and stick together if not you need to water it more often.
    But again I would ask for a new tree or your money back!

PS. I have some relatives in France too.

13. alex66

new,if the nursery have planted the maple you ask the money!or you ask that change the maple ; but if you have planted the tree for me is hard that the nursery change the maple ;another questions :when planted the maple you see if the root are rool?,around the rool there is a metallic net?, if cut the branch(small) are dry?,the hole is rigth for a big size maple?you add fertilize in the hole?(if yes which?)please reply!