spider looking white fuzzy bug

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Sylvie Berube, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Sylvie Berube

Sylvie Berube Member

I found a bug that looks like a spider. It has a teardrop shape, only has 6 legs, antennas and it is white fussy all over. Can anyone help me find out what it is?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Without a photograph, the best most people could do is suggest BugGuide.net

3. Sylvie Berube

Sylvie Berube Member

Well I can't send you a picture because the bug is to small to get a good picture. So I tried my best to draw it for you. This bug as a coating on it that looks like dust. Hope this can help

Attached Files:

4. deej42cat

deej42cat Member

I can't tell you what it is, but I have pictures!!!

The macro setting on the digital camera will allow very detailed pictures of these and other small creatures.

The little fellow looks redish in these pictures because of the halogen light when I took the pictures, but to the naked eye he looks simply like a pile of white dust!! I thought he was a ball of dust when I picked him up off the floor.

Can anyone identify this strange spider?

deej

Attached Files:

5. Sylvie Berube

Sylvie Berube Member

Yes thats the bug, But I guess my bug is a baby because it is much smaller than that this one.

6. ala nna 1 2 3

ala nna 1 2 3 Member

please someone tell me what this bug is called and why it comes around?

7. Juniper

Juniper Member

It might be an assassin bug nymph.

8. maryannad

maryannad Member

I was so happy to see that I am not the only one trying to figure out what this little dusty creature is. I have seen larger and really small ones. I just caught a small one today and I am determined to find out what it is and if it bites. Please post any findings.

9. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

that's a different kind of bug, looks like he just came out from under my bed!
    there's a really good website for identifying bugs:

http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/Questions/What is this pest.htm

Send in your pic, it takes a day or two for it to be posted... then the entomologist guy will tell you what it is. I've used it a few times and always got an answer. It's really quite fascinating to see the bug pictures people send in from all over the world.... I'm sure they'll tell you what it is.

10. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

he won't be a spider, they have 8 legs... altho it's hard to see just how many this guy has with all that dusty stuff on him.
    But I don't think spiders have antennae...?

11. maryannad

maryannad Member

I can't believe it. I went to the link you indicated, figures it was at the bottom of the list. It said it was called the masked hunter (Reduvius personatus), a nymph of an assassin bug from Europe that may be found indoors or outdoors. It can cause a painful bite if mishandled. Reduvius personatus (Linnaeus). Mystery solved thank you sooo much!

12. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

good call, Juniper, you had it all along!

Yah, that bug site is pretty cool... as you found out Maryannad, there are THOUSANDS of pics that people have sent in that you can scroll through and learn about. I didn't know I had such an interest in bugs til I found myself spending way too much time looking through them! Good for you for finding this guy, like the needle in the haystack...

13. maryannad

maryannad Member

I have posted a picture so you can see my fuzzy creature. DSC08638.jpg

14. triaubia39

triaubia39 Member

Yes we caught one today it looks the same as yours I have seen these before in another home I thought it was a huge dust mite visible to the naked eye! no one I showed can help me, but they seem to be in dusty places. Someone please tell me if they bite or if I need to sanitize my kids room. I looked up the assasin bug I don't see any dustresemblance or dusty appearance and I am not from Europe.

15. maryannad

maryannad Member

Yes, apparently they can give a painful bite. They are covered in dust and debris hence their name the masked hunter. They live here in North America even though they originate from Europe. bblazier posted a wonderful sight 3 weeks ago http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com. Once there click on pest identification photos ( under the tittle Most popular pages on the upper left side.) then scroll all the way down to the third last photo. I hope this helps. I sprayed my room because I had unknown painful bites but now all is well.