Propagation: split leaf philodendron

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by tanlady, Aug 7, 2006.

1. tanlady

tanlady Member

trying to send a pic of this plant ,wanted to know if anyone can tell me how to get starters from it .

Its a split leaf philodendron

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2006
  2. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

when it gets big enough it will shoot out some "pups" at the base of its main stem.when cutting these make sure to get as many roots as possible.i have three in my yard and have gotten one to grow,water in well and keep moist.

3. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Referring to Plant Propagation by Alan Toogood, there are many ways to propagate a split leaf philodendron, also known as Monstera deliciosa. Go down to the base to find a stem that you can cut off containing two nodes (where two leaves join the stem). Place in a easily draining rooting medium, place in a area 20-25 degrees celcius. Cuttings can be placed vertically or horizontally in pots. You can also layer your plant by taking a long stem and placing it in a rooting media.

4. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

The Monstera is a vine, and the photo is showing a P.selloum. toutlan nailed it. It will throw 'pups' which can be separated.

5. Barry B

Barry B Member

The philodendron selloum can easily be grown from seed.

To take seed from your own plant is a mission.

Buy seed from a commercial supplier. Mostly holland. I can supply details if you want.

Remember seed needs light to germinate, so place medium in seedling tray, wet well and put seed on surface. Cover tray with glass to keep moisture in. Retain moisture at all costs. And the glass cover makes sure light is provided.

Could take up to 4 weeks before germination takes place.

When seedling is bout 1 inch tall, transplant into second stage tray before final planting.

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Hate to jump in here but the correct name is actually Philodendron bipinnatifidum Schott ex Endl. Selloum is the commonly used name but that name is not recognized botanically on any of the plant name sites such as TROPICOS or International Plant Names Index. In time the plant will reproduce itself and you'll likely wish it didn't. I once bought 40 of them to plant in a bed out front of our home when we lived in Florida. In 3 years they were 6 feet tall and there had to be at least twice as many as when I started. Depending on where you live you can often find these plants inexpensively at local discount stores and seeds are always an option if you really want to wait awhile to see them grow. If you give the plant very bright light and plenty of water (they love water) it will eentually produce a spathe (flower) and spadix. When it does that you can collect your own seed. But that can take awhile.