Meyer Lemon losing leaves

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by ssilver, Jan 9, 2006.

1. ssilver

ssilver Member

I just bought a Meyer Lemon Tree, that was very healthy, beautifully healthy.
    Lush, dozens of blooms that smell wonderful. And 2 huge lemons hanging on it.
    I set it in front of a sunny window. It gets great light all day. I water it when it feels dry
    once a week, or twice if it feels dry 3 inchs down. I have not fertilized it yet. I have only had it a month. It started this after about 3 weeks. Many leaves each day on the floor.
    I am very concerned. I don't want to kill it. Help, what am I doing wrong, or not doing?
    I feel like a lemon tree killer!

2. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

Sorry for taking so long to see this question. I have 4 Meyer lemons one in my kitchen bay widow 2 in my unheated attached garage.The one i had in my living room started dropping the leaves too. The 2 in the garage are the healthiest of the bunch. after a couple of weeks my leaves started to drop off the one in my living room. I sprayed it and applied a insecticied (just in case it was spider mites or some other nasty creature). I put it in my garage with the other lemons about a month ago and seems to be holding its own. I think that the leaf drop is likely low humidity - spray the plants with a mist of water, keep them away from the heat and put the pots on rocks and keep water in the
    saucer but NOT in contact with the roots and use clay pots not plastic. the clay helps retain the moisture / humidity. I am going to plant all my Meyers outside next month. they should be fine if in a sheltered location with full sun & So. exposure AND up against a structure ie fence , shed, garage, house or retaining wall. SEE 'Citrus growing discussion - a few questions' on this site.

Greg

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Is your Lemon indoors? If it is, forced air heating is the culprit as I have witnessed the same problem with my citrus. However, check for the nasty mites and thrips and what else afflicts indoor plants...and send them out of doors when the chance of frost is nil.. temper the foliage to sunlight gradually, and watch your citrus thrive and invigorate in their naturally preferred environment.

4. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

Meyers are quite cold tolerant. the plants can take pretty much what the lower mainland can hit them with. a little protection on our coldest of winter nights and they will be fine.
    Do you have any in the ground..have you tried? I agree It is likely the heating and low humidity that is the problem.

Greg

5. Hypnoproto

Hypnoproto Member

Hi i also have a the problam i live in mallorca i went to a market two weeks ago and brought a lemon tree about 5ft hi i got it home repotted it in a bigger pot feed with citrus feeder the leaves looked a bit droopy so i gave it a good watering but over the last week 90% of the leaves have fallen of the weather has been warm 18c 12 at night what have i done wrong please can any one help
    Regards Paul

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Hi, Hypnoproto. Mallorca, Spain?
    Additional information would be useful in the diagnosis.
    • When you repotted, did you notice if the tree was root-bound? What color were the roots?
    • Were the leaves droopy when you bought the tree or did it start after the repotting and watering?
    Without waiting for the answers, my guess would be a case of root rot. You had repotted the tree into a bigger pot AND had given it a good watering. Root rot can occur if a tree is potted into a container that is much too large relative to its root mass. The roots need to be able to breathe. Citrus is particularly sensitive in this regard. If this sounds like your problem, a review of threads with the keywords [search]citrus root rot[/search] may be useful.

7. Hypnoproto

Hypnoproto Member

Hi Junglekeeper
    Right yes the leaves looked a little droopy when i got the tree it was in a 10" pot and i did put it in a 22" the roots were poking out of old pot i cut the old pot off being care full not to break the roots then gave it a lot of water the leaves that are left are now very dry but the soil is damp. help can i save this tree if it has root rot
    ps thankyou for helping
    Paul

8. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

You'll have to decide whether your tree has root rot or not. Healthy citrus roots are firm and light in color. Rotting roots are dark brown and mushy; the outer layer also slides off when you give it a tuck. Whichever the case I believe the pot that the tree is currently in is too big and would suggest using a smaller one (say 12", maybe 14"). Be sure to use a quick-draining medium. Have a look at this page concerning root rot.

9. mobyroach

mobyroach Member

Based on your description of its living conditions, I think that your Meyer plant is getting way too much water. The likely diagnosis that most people have made (root rot) seems bang-on. When I bought my Meyer three years ago, I was warned by the seller, who has a huge greenhouse of citrus plants, to always wait until the soil is completely dry before drenching it with water. I also feed my Meyer a special citrus fertilizer (pellets) which keeps it green, lots of fragrant flowers and fruit.