Identification: Little Yellow Mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Vmates, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Vmates

Vmates Member

Hello. I have tried to ID these, but can't find anything remotely like this. I live in a very wooded area (deciduous) in Western NC. These are very bright yellow, like a "High-lighter" marker. I have looked in some books and looked on the internet, but no real luck. They look very young, and may have a full cap emerge in a few days.

Attached Files:

2. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

possibly Lepiota lutea...as you say, wait a few days to see them full grown

3. Harri Harmaja

Harri Harmaja Active Member 10 Years

A.k.a. Leucocoprinus birnbaumii as to the current name of the species. It is a gilled fungus from the family Lepiotaceae (Agaricales), being native somewhere in areas with warmer climates but is known to be very common in hothouses and in flowerpots in homes of people even as far north as Finland.

Harri Harmaja
    http://www.fmnh.helsinki.fi/users/harmaja/about_myself.htm

4. Vmates

Vmates Member

Thanks!

Good call! I had not seen these before. This plant is an oleander that is on the front porch, outside, but potted. I had not seen many mushrooms in such early stages. It was the color and veil that really through me off. Well, a couple of days makes all the difference... in the world of fungi!

Attached Files:

5. allelopath

6. CaliMushroomQuestion

CaliMushroomQuestion Member

Hi, I am from Southern California and live near the OC. Is it normal for these little yellow mushrooms to be growing in my backyard?? I noticed that others have said they only grow in certain areas.

7. allelopath

Mushrooms Demystified (David Arora) says that they may appear in lawns as well as flower pots.

8. kuggan

kuggan Member

i found sum of these in my plant ?

9. kuggan

kuggan Member

r yellow mushrooms poisonis?

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

11. dschuman

dschuman Member

I just saw some of these growing in a pot that we have as well. I was wondering what they were.
    IMG_0004.JPG

12. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Same thing. Leucocoprinus birnbaumii (or alli).

13. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Some yellow mushrooms are poisionous. These are not.

14. Gimie888

Gimie888 Member

I also saw these Yellow Mushrooms in underground LRT station. They were going in the small garden they have. It was not that warm or moist in the hallway garden.

Attached Files:

15. Marina Mactavish

Marina Mactavish Member

Well isn't this fascinating ... I have a Little Sister plant that has aphids and someone from this forum suggested putting it outside for a thorough shower and soap/water treatment, so my husband moved it this morning, and now it is only 4 pm and these funky yellow mushrooms are in there!! I live in the Okanagan and today is extremely muggy (which is rare) and fairly warm, while the house is always fairly cool, so maybe the quick change was a quick trigger. They do look really cool, especially with the striped red sister leaves, so maybe I should just leave them in there - anyone say nay? Will the spores come out quickly and proliferate in the grassy back yard do you think?

16. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

If you don't mind them, I don't see what harm it could do. I don't think they'll proliferate in the backyard, though - different soil than houseplants.

17. Lu Brown

Lu Brown Member

I have them growing in a very old,large Jade plant. It's never been outside, but it has been a very wet summer. Anyway to get rid of them without harming the plant?

18. Soelle

Soelle Member

I have the same problem in my potted Philodendron; recently moved and my plant got toppled, lots of topsoil disappeared; and this white, filmy mold has started to grow. I've dealt with the mold before by stirring up the soil and getting rid of the chunks- but never had these mushrooms. Don't know if their related or not. . .

19. JIMSEN

JIMSEN Member

I found the same ones, I believe in a potted plant in our study. I think I found a name:Identified as en:Leucocoprinus birnbaumii (Corda) Singer, a common tropical, flower pot mushroom

JIMSEN