How Do I Get New 'Fronds' On Pampas Grass?

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Suntower, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Suntower

Suntower Member

I moved into a new house 2 years ago with a giant corner pampas grass. It seems to be doing great, but the original 3 'fronds' or 'feathers' have withered. So how does one encourage it to get more? It seems, well, -dull- without them.

Thanks,

---JC

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

New flowerheads every year, same as other grasses. Flowering varies from clump to clump, year to year. Sometimes you see just a few plumes on a plant or an uneven distribution around the clump.

3. Suntower

Suntower Member

OK, but with many types of flowers, there are things one can do to -encourage- new blooms. Are there such things with these pampas grasses?

TIA,

---JC

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

Pampas grass is a warm season grass, the new flowers probably haven't emerged yet this summer.

Simon

5. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I only get one single crop of flowers from the Pampas in our backyard, and these emerge at the end of July at the earliest. On the other hand, it is not located in the sunniest position in our yard.

6. Autum

Autum Member

My pampus grass has been in the ground for 3 years now in Hope BC..it has grown lots of leaves but no plumes yet....why not??..please help?/..what am I doing wrong???..I want plumes.......

7. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I think that if it is not growing under the eves of your western/southern exposed

part of your house, then you are not in the right microclimate zone for your plant.....

8. Alison

Alison Active Member

I have a happy, healthy, pampas grass that has been blooming for years. I don't see any plumes yet on mine, so don't worry. It's just too early.

9. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Cortaderia selloana (pampas Grass) is fast growing in rich soil in mild climates. It typically is a late summer bloomer, and, although it will grow in most soils, some balanced fertilizer might help with the production of blooms. A native of Argentina, the
    plant has 50% of the country in which to grow and still be in the 'sub-tropical zone'. On the west coast of North America, the northern extent of the 'sub-tropical zone' is right at San Francisco. Certainly, you will have longer periods of insolation(witness the 40 pound cabbages in Alaska) and as long as the grass has not frozen back to the ground, it certainly should bloom for you. You might step up the watering and fertilizing and note the effect. Good luck.

10. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I think Chuck is right about the freezing ground part...in Hope, B.C. did the

temperature freeze the ground? for a few days or more?

This could be part of the problem.

11. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

Hi Hope! I have heard this question so often. If you have good foliage growth..not to worry..give it time..it's growing into a monster. Once it begins to develop inflorescence your laughing........ Deb

12. oscar

oscar Active Member

if the plant was seed raised you may have to wait much longer for it to flower.

13. Suntower

Suntower Member

FWIW:

3 fresh new fronds sprouted up in July.

1. Plucked out ALL old growth (there was tons).

2. Fertlized.

3. Poured a bag of lime on the thing (very clay soil here in Seattle).

4. Watered with soaker hose 3-4x's per week.

Et voila.

---JC

14. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

suntower; Since the U.S. State University Extension Service obligates the States to provide Science based information to all inhabitants of each State, and since the Extension Service Master Gardener Program was started in King County(Seattle) in 1972,( now virtually nationwide) your local Extension Service can and will do a soil analysis for you to the extent that you can get a pH and soluable salt test run for very nominal charge. Here in Florida, those two tests cost $5.00. The Master Gardeners can also tell you what the ideal nutrient conditions should be for Pampas. Good Luck. Chuck