2011 "Most Attractive to Bees" plants!

Discussion in 'Gardening for Backyard Biodiversity in Canada' started by WesternWilson, Oct 14, 2011.

1. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

I just wanted to post that this year in our garden I made an extra effort to plant diverse, bee-friendly plants (particularly since beekeeping is now permitted in our municipality, Delta).

Lots of plants attracted bees, but three plants in particular were MOBBED by bees, and to make things better all have long, long bloom periods:

1. Sweet Cicely (Myrrhus odorata) (nice as it blooms so early in the spring)

2. Bronze Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare)...and it looks fab in borders!

3. Joe Pye Weed (Eupatorium purpureum)...so striking as a specimen plant, blooms for weeks.

lizardmarsh likes this.
  2. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Our fall asters and sedums were all abuzz too!

lizardmarsh likes this.
  3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Have you tried borage? I have always noted that to be mobbed by bees when it's in bloom.

lizardmarsh likes this.
  4. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Lots of herbs are very good for attracting bees: oregano, lemon balm, mint, agastache--all of which produce lots of seed as a result of the pollinators' visits.

lizardmarsh likes this.
  5. hapylica

hapylica Member

I bought eupatorium purpureum seeds on eBay and yesterday I put in containers to germinate.
    Unfortunately there are no seeds heptacodium miconioides David involucrata Sonoma. Are honey and ornamental trees.
    I bought seeds by david at Twining Vine Nursery vilmoriana involucrata (in Canada)

6. hapylica

hapylica Member

I am very happy, Mrs. Sandra Hofer from Twining Vine ,was very nice and I got the seeds by david Sonoma. I made ​​3 months stratification at warm, then cold stratification follows in the fridge for 4 months.
    Today I arrived in Poland heptacodium micoinoides a strong tree honey, flowers smell is very strong and pleasant!
    I purchased wisteria floribunda (white, pink, purple) as honey

7. Assie

Assie New Member

I read somewhere that this list also includes many forest herbs.

8. WesternWilson

And don't forget the perennial catmint....great for bees and a wonderful border plant.

9. WesternWilson

BTW I too am looking for a source for the Seven Sons Tree, Heptacodium micoinoides. They have a very nice habit and are big pollinator faves, blooming in late summer during our local dearth. We need many more!!!