Monkey Pod Tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Inez Ridley, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Inez Ridley

Inez Ridley Member

I have several Monkey Pod seeds. Can I start a tree from these seeds? How lond will it take the seeds to sprout? Is there anythink special I should do?
    Thank You
    I. Ridley

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Inez--being a legume, these seeds would probably best be treated before sowing. Try dropping them in a cup of boiling hot water, and leaving them overnight to cool in there.

Then just sow them in little pots of potting mix, they should sprout in a few days (kept indoors in a warmish spot, like on top of the fridge?).

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Need to find out what species is meant - I've occasionally come across this name being used for Monkey-puzzle (Araucaria araucana)

4. I started Monkey Pod seeds indoors in February of this year. Two of three seeds planted sprouted in 10-12 days. I had them in a warm spot, both of these sprouted after I had let the soil go dry and re-watered. I don't recommend anything, that is just what I observed. They really took off when I moved them to full sun.

When I first moved them outside some of their leaves went yellow, but remained on the tree for a long time. One of the trees did not survive this move outside, although I quickly brought both back inside right away when I noticed something was amiss. I think it was some sort of fungus. It was cool and rainy here in upstate NY during the couple of days that this happened.

One survives today in a 12" terra cotta pot that seems to suit it. It is about 24" high and is a very interesting tree. My surviver closes it's rafts of leaves each night and looks quite delicate, but rarely drops a leaf or leaf stem. Good luck, I would be interested to know how your's turns out.

5. Todd82TA

Todd82TA Member

I'm a big fan of this tree, I think it's a fairly interesting tree and it doesn't get it's due attention. These trees are very easy to sow, although, I think they require a more sub tropical temperature. They typically grow in places like Argentina, and Central America, but they can grow in the South. They are fairly tolerant to rain and / or draught.

I'm a really bad gardner, and to be honest, I don't know what I'm doing. But this is one tree that grows exceptionally well.

I find that the best way to plant them is to put them in a cup of water, put it in the microwave for 1 minute.

Then, take the seeds and tap them with a hammer until you hear the hard outer shell "crack". Once you do this, then stick them about 1/2 inch under good soil, and they will begin to grow. If you live in at least Zone 8, then you should be able to just leave them outside. They become dependant on the temperature of wherever you grow them, and by taking them inside and outside can shock and kill them.

Keep in mind though that if you plan to actually plant this tree, it can become absolutely massive. They have been known to grow canopies in excess of 150 feet, and can grow to ~110 feet tall.

Of course, you can always prune them, but just be aware that if you want to let it grow to it's full potential, it really needs an open space.

Todd (Zone 10b)

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Large ones seen in places like Hawaii, where monkey pod bowls and other items have been made from the wood. One in/near Honolulu was found to be over 300 ft. across when measured some years ago.

7. Todd82TA

Todd82TA Member

That's very cool. I wish I had more room on my property. I have a bunch of them in pots, and one of them is growing so fast, that I've literally had to repot it at least once every month. It's already 6 feet tall!

I wish I had more room, but I know that it would end up encompassing the greater part of my property!

8. Ron B

It might be the one Hitachi has been using as a logo for 34 years, but I'm not sure now - and if it's only 50' high it's probably not wide enough. I think I've been to the hugely wide tree myself but I don't remember which particular site it was on - thought it was in a small, otherwise mostly undistinguished city park in an industrial area, whereas it sounds like the Hitachi tree is on a bigger property with additional features. The friend that measured the 300'+ was there on another occasion, some years later. Surely one of the Hawaiian heritage tree books has it.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Jan/26/bz/FP701260356.html

9. Todd82TA

Todd82TA Member

That's pretty cool. Hawaii also has (I believe) the world's largest Banyan tree too... it's an amazing tree...

10. Ron B

We had dinner together last night. Anyone reading this thread who thought the 300' preposterous was correct: the tree I remembered hearing about had an average crown spread of 175'. My friend has measured a Ceiba growing in the wild that was 201' across. Other than that the only kind of tree near 300' wide would, of course, be a banyan - these send down aerial roots (that turn into supporting trunks after they reach the soil) as they grow sideways to make a sort of living arbor that apparently can spread indefinitely. Not the same as a specimen with a single or few main stems with branches receiving no other support than that provided by being attached to the trunk(s) and forming a crown hundreds of feet across.

The 175' average crown spread was measured in the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. I was there a few years ago myself but do not remember noticing an exceptionally broad monkey pod. Perhaps the one I saw on another site, during a prior visit (and mentioned above) was, in fact even wider.

11. Todd82TA

Todd82TA Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Banyan tree a member of the "ficus" genus? I don't really know what I'm talking about, so if that sounds dumb, I apologize! heh. I believe I read somewhere that "ficus" is also a "class" of trees, and I thought the Banyan was one of them.

I ask this because I have a ficus tree (not the bush) growing on the side of my house. It's dropped a bunch of these tendril like things from one of it's long branches and it's only a few feet from the ground at this point. I was debating what I was going to do with it. I thought maybe I'd make some kind of cool archway on my side patio.

You can just make out the picture of the tree here (note the trunk with it's intricate rooting / trunk system, very pretty):

Sorry for the cars in the picture, I've got a lot of hobbies. It's hard to make out but it's right behind the Poinsietta (sp?) next to the Porsche 944.

http://stoney.lizardmaster.com/CarImages/84_Porsche/944_runs_3_lrg.jpg

12. Ron B

Yes, that will just get bigger and bigger there - you may not be able to keep it.

13. Todd82TA

Todd82TA Member

I don't mind so much how big the trunk gets. The top of the tree has been kept relatively small. I'm going to trim it back again once school ends for me this term after this week (I'm actually procrastinating from studying right now).

Speaking of Monkey Pod Trees, I planted one, a Monkey Pod, about 2 years ago, and this was a picture I took when the tree was a month old.

It's kind of funny, this Lizard just decided to climb up this tree and hang on to it for no reason. (see attached image)

Attached Files:

14. BigRob777

BigRob777 Member

I picked up a hand full of seeds, from some pods, while I was in Hawai'i. It's looking like I can't expect them to grow in Delaware, where the temperature can reach 0 degrees F in winter. I would like to know if anyone has made them into bonzai trees? I'm going to try to plant some of the lychee seeds I got while there also, but it looks like they'll do better, though I might have trouble, if I don't graft them into the right root stock. I'm not even a novice at this, as I have planted some fruit trees, from local nurseries and that's about it. I'm losing my peach tree to some kind of fungus, that attacks the fruit, as it ripens and withers them in just a matter of days. I guess I should post about that in another thread.
    Thanks,
    Rob

15. Todd82TA

Todd82TA Member

Yeah, you should be able to turn it into a bonzai. The only thing to consider is that when they are in pots, they are more susceptible to fungus and insect attack (like scale). They need lots of sun, but they grow fast when they're young so I would expect that it would need constant guidance.

16. Virgie

Virgie Member

I am trying to find a place to buy Monkey Pod Tree seed's..............
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks so much.

17. Todd82TA

Todd82TA Member

http://www.SeedRack.com

I bought mine from there. They are slow to germinate, but they almost all work. I found it easier to drop them in boiling water and then let them soak overnight. Then plant them in soil.

I've also taken the seeds and hit them just hard enough with a hammer so that the outer shell cracks. Then I plant them and soak the soil. Both ways work.

They have an amazing germination rate, so they might be germinating DESPITE what I'm doing (not because of it). Hah...

Todd