Propagating Loropetalum

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Mary Z, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Mary Z

Mary Z Member

Does anybody know the best way to try to propagate Loropetalum?

Thanks very much!

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Hi Mary--these are done from softwood cuttings in summer...commercially using an intermittent mist setup...which makes rooting them easy.

Most of us non-professionals will get by trying to root them with a humidity dome/plastic tenting to keep the cuttings from wilting before roots form. If this is the case, I'd try them a little later when the new growth has hardened a bit, and maybe use a bit stronger rooting hormone (medium rather than softwood formulation)...if you can give some bottom heat and keep the cuttings otherwise cool they will have the best chance.

3. Mary Z

Mary Z Member

Thanks, Growest! I'll pass this on to my friend in Mississippi who has offered to try to send me a start. Keep your fingers crossed!!

Do you happen to know what conditions might best please Loropedalum in the Pacific Northwest? Thanks, again!

4. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Hi again, Mary. Sorry I've never grown them here myself.

I've only heard that they can be a bit borderline hardy...so would try to keep it out of the arctic northeast winds that can arise in winter. Apparently likes sun or light shade, and most species from China can't handle much summer drought.

Perhaps others with local experience ... :-)

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have one here in Vancouver. It's at least 8 years old, a red-leaved variety, maybe Fire Dance. It has grown very vigorously, and blooms really well but not necessarily every year. It is in the north-facing yard getting mostly sun from May to August, and its soil is poor and actually quite dry. And I would have said it seems perfectly hardy but now that Growest mentions it, it has had shelter from the north from a giant conifer until November of last year. Still got through this winter OK, has a little bit of tip die-back.

Come to think of it, I noticed a hedge of the green ones along the seawall by Science World a couple of years back. Not protected, in that case!

6. Mary Z

Mary Z Member

Thanks, Karin and Growest. My friend is in northern MS--tons more rain than here (more violent storms, too), especially in the summer. Also, quite a bit more cold and snow in the winter, too. His is on an east wall with limited protection.

One nursery employee here said that he has had a couple and that they do OK for a while, but seem to die after about three years. I'm wondering if it is the lack of summer rain that is the main difference...

I back up to a greenspace with huge cedars and firs to the north so that my yard is quite calm even though the tree tops are really "dancing" during storms. However, most of my winter weather comes from the south.

Maybe a pot for a while and see where it indicates a preference!

Thanks, again!