Are these Hyacinth Bulbs?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by mfwmiles, Jun 1, 2008.

1. mfwmiles

mfwmiles Member

hello to all my new friends, this is my first post and i hope to participate a great deal with you through the summer.

this spring i found much to my delight that the women who owned my home before me had planted hyacinth bulbs in my front garden bed. they bloomed early and smelled so sweet whenever i came home, it was just wonderful.

when the flowers were spent i pulled them from the leaves and left them next to them in the garden. well today as i was watering around them, i noticed that the stalks with the flowers have what i imagine are the next generation of bulbs developing on them. am i correct in assuming this?

if this is so, how do i prepare them for next year? should i plant them and forget about them, or store them in a dry place perhaps? can someone please help explain this so i can enjoy them next year with the pride of saying i cultivated them from the flower.

thanks to all my new friends!!!

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the bulb grows and can be divided periodically.

what you're seeing where the flower was is seeds...they can be planted and, if they are fertile, they will grow plants...it takes years before the seeds grow enough to become a bulb and they won't produce flowers until they've become bulbs.

i'd certainly give it a try...put them somewhere where you will remember they are there. they're going to be small and will look like weeds for a few years, so you have to be sure about where you plant them so you don't pull them up next year thinking that they are weeds!!

i'd put them in a spot and put something distinctive around the area. a two-liter soda bottle cut down to make a frame for the spot would be good enough - just cut it down (both ends off) to about four inches wide and then put most of that into the ground (leave about 1/3 of it showing) and that should be good enough for a few years...by then, the seeds will be producing obvious plants and the perimeter probably won't be needed.

i don't know how long it takes for seeds to grow into bloom-producing bulbs...still worth a try if you're willing to wait it out!

3. mfwmiles

mfwmiles Member

so i should just bury them now perhaps in the same area where the others are growing and wait wait wait?

how deep? 2 inches? 4 inches?

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

no more than two inches. putting them with the 'mother' plant is a good idea. and, yes, wait!