Acer palmatum 'Okushimo'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here are a couple of shots of Acer palmatum 'Okushimo'. It is a vigorous growing crinkle-leaved cultivar. It forms a narrow, vase shaped tree of 25' or more. It has dark green leaves with each leaf lobe rolled upward and inward. Almost forming a tube. Very similar to the cultivar 'Kurui jishi'. This cultivar grows well in full sun and seems to withstand the heat and humidity common here in the Southeatern U.S.. On a mature specimen the foliage is so thick that it resembles a dark green, living wall. Fall color is golden. Pictured here is a small plant at a friends nursery and a small, 1g plant of mine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  2. shiroi oni

shiroi oni Active Member

Hello All,

Attached are two pictures of my newest Maple, 'Okushimo'. I hope the leaf close up shows a clearer rendition of the curled, crinkled leaf. Though this is still a small twig of a tree, (barely 6"!!!) it's curled leaves are unique, beautiful and quite delicate. I can't wait for this one to start grow.. It was purchased through California Maple Nursery, via ebay.. a first for me.

Attached Files:

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

It is worth mentioning that this cultivar is one of the sturdiest I have experienced. Mine is in a small (1.5 gal) pot in the strong southern France sun for 8 hours a day without showing any sign of leaf burn and withstanding an occasional watering lapse. The pictures were taken today.
    If you happen to like the leaf form, it is definitely a good and safe choice.

Gomero

Attached Files:

4. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

I am very happy with my tree. Does well in full sun zone 6. Here is a summer picture.

Attached Files:

5. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Acer palmatum 'Crazy' Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Very nice sized 'Okushimo'. Compared to my 6 inch twig, LOL.
    Also like your rasied bed approach.

Mike
    Acer palamtum 'Crazy'

6. jhayes5032

jhayes5032 Active Member

I have found this tree's fall color disappointing relative to Vertree's description. Howerver, this fall a fraction of the leaves developed a nice yellow

Attached Files:

7. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

We have 2 Okushimo in our collection- we love the narrow, vase shape and the great late fall color

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  8. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

Spring look

Attached Files:

9. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

We had some good fall color this year on Okushimo. This tree is about 18 feet tall and was planted about 15 years ago. Okushimo is the tree in the middle of the second picture.

Ed

Attached Files:

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've seen a few out here about that height also. Japanese Maples says it "often grows 8 m* or more" tall.

*26.2 ft.

11. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Here is a photo of my Okushimo taken April 10, 2008, showing the defining curled lobes characteristic of this cultivar. Unlike the sunny locations all others have placed their Okushimos in, mine resides in a rather less sunny location under an umbrella of madrone trees where it receives filtered light a lots of summer heat. It is about 6 years old and is doing beautifully.

Attached Files:

12. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

WOW great plant pics posted on this one. I grow a small one. The petioles are blazing!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  13. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I just got one of these in and it is already a favorite! The curled leaves are truly amazing. Tree is very stiff and upright, but has tons of 'personality'. I can't wait to see it in the fall!

K4

Attached Files:

14. James M

James M Member

A young Okushimo, according to Vertrees they can grow by 1m or more in a season, so I don't think is will stay this small for long.

Attached Files:

15. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

I love this cultivar. Mine seems sturdy, and growing in full sun. Put on about 6" of second spurt growth last year.

Here is some of the leaves, taken during a rainy evening.

Attached Files:

16. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

I was able to nab two of these trees last fall when a nursery went out of business. Both are around 5 ft. tall and in 7 gallon containers. This pic is from March 2012. I'm not sure how well they survived the heat & drought this past summer, so I'm anxiously awaiting this spring. Anyone else in the Midwest/Plains have this tree?

Kevin in KC

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

11th November and my little Okushimo after a week of 'very' warm weather has leaves again. I will need to protect this one through the Winter!!!

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

17th November 2020 and the new growth I had a week ago has now turned. It's also showing the curling of the leaves that I like about this cultivar.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

23rd May 2021 and my first posting this year of my Okushimo. Such wonderful leaves on this one.
    Okushimo 235.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  20. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

I love seeing the larger specimens in this thread - those leaves are really something! Mine is still small, but starting to show off that curled look in miniature:
    20210530 Okushimo.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  21. Acerholic

So many out there now that are hard to differentiate, but not this one. I bet your glad it's in your collection Xi.

Xi-feng likes this.
  22. Xi-feng

Thanks D, I really am. It's not a huge attention-grabber (I think being so small doesn't help mine right now either) but if you take the time to look up-close, it's a cracking little tree!

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Very well pu Xi, that's exactly what I do. The intricacies of each leaf is what this hobby is all about, alongside all of the amazing shapes and colours of course. OK it's everything !!!!! Lol.

Xi-feng likes this.
  24. Xi-feng

My Okushimo is growing like it has somewhere it needs to be.... here are the new leaves for August:

20210803 Okushimo.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  25. Xi-feng

Lots of early spring leaves:

20220326 Okushimo.jpg

Acerholic likes this.