Hiking Thru the Snow....

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Dec 24, 2009.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Many people laugh when I say I find LOTS of fungi, lichens, mushrooms, insects.........all KINDS of living things in the winter with the snow.
    These photos are proof. All these were taken yesterday(December 23rd).

I don't know the varieties of lichens but they were found on cut oak with the little mushrooms that I THINK may be Flammulina velutipes...(or Gallerina autumnus)...hard to tell as they're so tiny.
    The insect is a Crane Fly...he was hanging out with Violet-toothed Polypores...
    The cut mushrooms are the best EVER...Oysters (Pluteus ostreus)...still found even now and still yummy!
    The beautiful yellow 'flames' are Yellow fingers - Calocera cornea
    The close-up bracket fungi is False Turkey-tail (Stereum ostrea)
    The vibrant orange is Crowded Parchment (Stereum complicatum)
    And...of course...the little fellow holding the bird-house-lantern is from my garden...lighting the way thru the snow....

Happy Holidays and a VERY Merry Christmas to all of those in the UBC world and beyond. It's been a beautiful year!

Carla Jandelle Petters

Attached Files:

2. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Carla - thank you for the gorgeous pictures! Sometimes I think one reason for winter is to display things we might not notice in seasons full of color!

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

My best wishes to you, C.W., for enjoyable holidays and a happy, fungus-filled year to come. Thank you for your artist's eye, and for revealing to us the beauty of nature. Even on a crane fly's wing can be found a lovely iridescence...thank you for reminding us to take the time to look.

JOYEUX NOEL!

4. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Thank you Ann...it was actually all too easy to overlook things out there.......I almost walked right by all the brighter colors....but yet saw the darker ones? We take for granted all the hidden beauty that is out there because we blind ourselves to the more obvious kind.
    Best wishes to you too togata!

5. Steve G

Steve G Member

Good eye work, Carla! Lots of nice stuff to see. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Holidays!