White Ginger: Is it edible?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by JoC, Apr 27, 2004.

1. JoC

JoC Member

A friend brought me a so-called "White Ginger" root from an airport store in Hawaii. It has done very well in pots, outdoors in the summer, and indoors in the winter. The roots look and smell like the ginger I buy to eat. Is this ginger edible as well?

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Without knowing the botanical name of the plant that you purchased from Hawaii, it is difficult to give you a definitive answer regarding the safety in eating the roots. The plant you have may be hedychium coronarium (white Ginger or Butterfly Lily or Garland flower) for future reference.

3. Wes North Van

Wes North Van Active Member 10 Years

Hedychium

Is the hedychium family of flowering gingers edible?
    I have two varieties growing outside all year and have done well in our climate.

4. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

edible

Well I haven't been able to find anything toxic in the Hedychium genus, but you should always take great care to find out if your plant is the rare exception! I found a site that saysH. coronarium has "snow white insides of the edible, spicy tubers (not the ginger of commerce, which is Zingiber officinale)." http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/perennials/Hedycco.htm and as this is a university (NC State) site I think this information can be trusted. You could try to look up any other plant you are interested in there as well.