Anyone growing Grapes in Edmonton, Alberta?

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Granrey, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Granrey

Granrey Active Member

Well, I just planted my first valiant grape, I've been keeping these grape indoor for a year due to not having my final grade certificate.

I'm wondering if anyone is growing this plant in Edmonton so we can share information about care.

Thanks,

2. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Granrey,
    Valiant is widely grown in Edmonton. I used to have a plant until my wife said it's too vigorous and is blocking out sunlight into the basement. It grows best against a south wall. I don't find the grapes that great for fresh eating (as stated in the catalogues) but boy o boy, it makes the best grape juice and jelly in the world. You may see some Valiant grapes at the Apple Show on the 13th. The biggest problem growing grapes in Edmonton is leafhoppers. Infestation is extremely heavy. There are too many alternate hosts around for effective biological control.
    Peace
    Thean

3. Granrey

Granrey Active Member

Thean,

Did you apply any winter protection at all?

thanks,

4. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Granrey,
    I had five varieties of grapes growing against the south wall. There are trees growing on the west. Hence they were protected against the north and west winds. I did not give them any winter protection. In very severe winter they died back to about snowline. Most years they except Concord came through very well and produce. Valiant is the only one that ripens its berries every year.
    Peace
    Thean

5. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Hi Granrey- 15 grape varieties and more to trial next year in this climate. Valiant is pretty reliable. Frontenac shows some promise as do several other cultivars. You have to grow the grapes in the right spot. I call it "South wall viticulture". There are about 16,000 known grape varieties in the world. You can grow more than Valiant in this climate. But as Thean said it is still the most reliable but there are some varieties that are earlier that are worl looking at for this climate.

Cheers

Kim

6. Granrey

Granrey Active Member

I'd like to know when should I stop watering the plant.

thanks,

7. Granrey

Granrey Active Member

Did anyone got a good grape production in Edmonton this year?

8. northerngrapes

Hi; I had a small crop of Cliche and Frontenac on 3 year old vines.

cheers

9. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

A good red wine grape from zone 5 is a variety called Chancellor. - Millet

10. northerngrapes

Chancellor is a nice wine grape and will do well in the Okanagan. Frontenac is much more suited to our climate. It is hardier than Chancellor.

Cheers

kim

11. gemtrader

gemtrader Member

I've got Beta, St. Croix, Acadie Blanc, Marechal Joffre, and Edelweise in the back yard. The Joffre and Acadie are on low cordon (6 inches) and have 2 feet of snow cover, the rest are exposed.
    First winter for most - will see how they do.
    The joffre looks very impressive by way of its growth this summer. From a cuttings it put out a 7 foot and 5 foot shoot now tied down as cordon. If it comes through the winter fine, in being as early as it is supposed to be, it should be great for Edmonton/Sherwood park.
    Kelly

12. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Valiant should not have much trouble with Canadian winters. Valiant has withstood -46C unharmed in Manitoba. Valiant has excellent acid and sugar balance, so makes outstanding jelly and juice. Other table varieties that should do well in your area are, St. Croix, Rosette, Kay Gray, Frontenac, Elvira, Edelweiss, Bluebell, Worden (seedless), and Ventura. May I ask what does "grade certificate" mean? - Millet

13. gemtrader

gemtrader Member

The Beta had good fruit on the vine, almost didn't ripen up though. Good thing we had the extended warm fall temperatures. Both the Edelweis and Joffre are a bit earlier than the Beta so they would have done alreight. I use to have concord but the cold killed off most of the buds above the snow and it never ripened the grapes in this climate.
    Kelly
    Sherwood Park

14. Granrey

Granrey Active Member

I want to check my grapes and see if they survived the winter.

Any signs that I should look for?

15. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

It's a bit early I think.
    Mine generally show a little pink bud when the temps are over +10 degrees over night As it stands , that could be never. <g> here.

Don't panic about the dry brown stems as they seem to die back to a mild apple green inside and start growing from that point again.
    That's where I have been cutting them back to.
    I have been trying to grow these cusses for several years and now have three plants that have survived my gardening habits and winter.

I have mine parked against the basement foundation to help protect the roots.

Which ones are you trying? (beside Valiant)

Bob

16. Granrey

Granrey Active Member

I have Valiant, Saint Croix and an unknown species that some how gave me some grapes indoor when purshased.

I know the unknow and Saint Croix might not make it. I'm more concerned with the Valiant which was the only one I bought after doing some research. The other ones I bought without researching.

17. northerngrapes

Hi Granrey- Valiant will survive our winters here. Ron Peterson developed it at the South Dakota State University its a cross bewtwenn a wild grape from Montana and an old variety calledd Fredonia. St Croix is hardy bettweeen -32C to -35 C. The big problem here is getting the fruit to ripen. I have 15 varieties I'm trying that might work in this climate. Frontenac has survived at my place. Another selection I have is Cliche
    it also survived. Both have produced fruit. I did a lecture at Old College on viticulture
    in our region. If you or others in the Edmonton area would like to know more about what might grow here. Please feel free to contact me. Have a look at the pics I've attached. There are lot of interesting cultivars you can grow here. I will also be at the DBG Seedy Saturday on April 18th

Cheers

Attached Files:

18. Granrey

Granrey Active Member

Great, I know the valiant has a good chance since I met somebody from a subdivision close to mine. he gets good grapes with his valiants.

Any tips on how to check if my grapes are still alive?

19. northerngrapes

Hi Granrey; If you take cuttings fron your plant and bring them inside you can cut into the buds. Grapes buds have primary, secondary amd tertiary buds.

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modfr/visuals/2644v1.jpg

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/gra...sessingandmanagingwinterinjuredgrapevines.pdf

The primary bud will give you the most fruit off a grape vine if its damaged or destroyed
    then you get a partial crop off the secondary bud. If it's damaged you the only get
    leafs off the tertiary bud. If the bud is damaged completely the vine can be severely
    or completely dead. Hope this helps. You can always ask at the DBG on April 18th.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  20. Granrey

Granrey Active Member

thx for the info.

21. kossowan

kossowan Member

I'm about to plant in Frontenac, Sabrevois, Louise Swenson, and Frontenac Gris. Here's hopin'.

22. northerngrapes

Frontenac will do well. I have a nice crop on my plant. Louise Swenson is slow to establish. Sabrevois will grow but it's not as good for our climate as Frontenac. Frontenac Gris should be okay. I have Cliche it has fruited for me. Good luck with the
    grapes.

Check out the courses here

http://www.oldscollege.ca/programs/...patial-tech/pdf/HWBrochure09bookletforweb.pdf

See page 8

Cheers

Kim

23. kossowan

kossowan Member

Thanks Kim - really happy to be in touch with anyone tackling this challenge. Thanks for the thoughts on the varietals - I'd consulted with Bert Dunn for a couple years prior to making a move and have purchased my vines from Alain Breault. The community seems to be small, so I'm guessing you know who those folks are!

I'd love to get down there to see what you're growing - but I've got little ones at home that make getting away for the day a little tricky.

I'll be posting about my trials and tribulations on my blog.
    Cheers,
    Kevin

24. northerngrapes

Hi Kevin; Yes i know of both Bert and Alain. It's truly a small world.

Cheers

25. TerryR

TerryR Member

Hello everyone ... any grape updates sure would be good to hear!

'Somerset Seedless' and 'Trollhaugen' have been in the ground two years and have wintered well, my backyard is very protected and gets very warm during the summer. The vines are growing along the ground and generally will receive a rather deep and continuous snow cover. They flowered well this past spring, though no fruit set, maybe next summer. These particular varieties will always require winter protection / snow cover. I'll update their progress as time passes.

What's been doing well for you of recent, what's been hardy above the snowline or wintering well when laid down? Ripening before frost being all important.

I've read about some grape selections being released through Morden.

Terrance