Identification: Looks like catus with starfish blooms??????

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by KPearce, Sep 19, 2004.

?

Feed it regular houseplant fertilizer or raw meat?

1. houseplant fertilizer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. raw meat

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. don't go near it

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. call NASA

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. KPearce

KPearce Member

Don't know plants. Not the best with computers...Trying to learn about a plant that never seems to have bloomed before and now has six giant blossoms. Plant looks like some kind of catus. Gets a very large pod that opens into a strange blossom that looks like a starfish with a tiny maroon flower in the center. The smell is not pleasant but not over powering. No one here can ID...Of course no one here has any expertise. All think it is carniverous or alien. All are idiots. I am trying to send photos but computer skills may thwart that effort. If all in household disappear- blame plant.

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Cool plant and good pictures! I am going to say a type of Epiphyllum sometimes called orchid cactus.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi there,

Sorry, your previous post on the subject hadn't been approved yet (you did do everything right the first time, but you hadn't yet confirmed your registration), which is why you had to repost.

Anyway, this is a member of the milkweed family from Africa, likely a member of the genus Stapelia.

I'm not familiar with the plants, but here is one link that might provide some information:

The Foul-Smelling Starfish Flowers of Africa

4. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi

Great shots for the pics
    Also see carrion starfish You might want to put a container under the blooms as the nector (attractant from the flower can leek out and become REALLY nasty, the smell that keeps on giving)
    I must admit that the rascal looks very happy . I do not know what you're doing but keep it up!!.

Regards Doug

5. Assume you mean cactus, not catus. Pictures are good, but you should have one full frontal view of flower.