How to grow strawberries in a hanging basket?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Unregistered Dee, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Hi

I want to grow strawberries in a hanging basket in a hot sunny southern location. Which is the best variety or varieties for that, and how would I prepare the basket for planting? When is the best time to start growing the strawberries? I live in Surrey.
    Thanks
    Dee

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well I don't know if you are checking back after a week Dee, but I thought this was a question that should be answered.

I don't think growing strawberries in baskets is much different than growing them in the ground. They need good rich soil a sunny spot and regular watering. The regular watering will be more important in pots. Sounds like you have a sunny spot. The only possible caution would be that if pots are placed or hung too close to lighting, the strawberries bloom cycle could be disturbed. Strawberries have small root systems so they fit well in those "strawberry pots" that one sees at nurseries and in catalogs - kind of a vertical planter with lots of planting holes - It is a space-saving planter and allows light to the plants at the base.

Strawberries can be June bearing, everbearing or dayneutral (see the link for description). If you are only growing a few pots you will probably want everbearing or dayneutral, rather than to have just one big flush of fruit in the spring. I would choose several varieties for, well variety.

Plant in early spring.

Here is a link to basic care info:
    http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/strawberries/growing.html

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Lee Valley has a planter that also fit this description.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I have also seen hanging bags that can accomodate several plants. Most of the ones I have seen do not look very attractive until the plants fill in, but they are inexpensive.

5. Dee

Dee

Thankyou Eric. I am defintely going to apply your expertise to my strawberry project. I will keep you informed as to my successs with the strawberries.
    Cheers
    Dee