Lemon tree in cold weather

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Saleve, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Saleve

Saleve Active Member

Hello,
    I've started a lemon tree from seed. It's still small, but at some point I would like to plant it in the garden. Will the tree survive winters with below freezing temperatures?

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Lemon can stand temps slightly below freezing for a SHORT TIME IF it has been cold hardened (exposed to less than 68 F for several weeks). You can provide additional protection by covering the tree with sheets or blankets and adding a string of Christmas lights. This additional protection would probably allow the tree to survive exposure to temps in the range of 20 F or -5 to -7 C. It will probably take 7-9 years to get fruit from seed unless you graft mature wood onto the tree.

Skeet

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

A store bought lemon is likely to be either the Lisbon or Eureka variety. I believe Geneva is in zone 7 (-18 to -12C, 0 to 10F). It may be too cold even for the hardier Meyer lemon.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Junglekeeper is correct, the chance of a Lemon surving outdoors in Geneva, without massive protection, such as a greenhouse, is zero. - Millet

5. Saleve

Saleve Active Member

Thank you all for your input. Another question: Is there any way that I can keep this tree indoors? I understand that it may reach up to 20 feet in height. Can I trim the top when it gets too tall?

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Just because the tree will be growing as a container tree, I doubt that it will ever even come close to 20-feet. Container growing is very dwarfing. My guess the tree will reach around 8-10 feet tall. - Millet

7. splatman

splatman Member

Does anyone know where to purchase a lemon variety that will grow in the Vancouver BC area?

8. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

If you're referring to one for outdoors then Meyer lemon but it will need protection. You may want to look at [thread=10076]this[/thread] (very long) thread. This variety is currently available at various nurseries that sell tropicals.

9. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

Splatman, what are you looking for? I may be able to help you. Send me a private message. Where on the Coast do you live? Do you have a full sun - protected spot to plant a tree? IE south facing house wall or fence? You will need to have string of large 7 watt Christmas lights on for about 20 nights and 10 days a year. If you are willing to do that then some lemons can grow successfully here.

Greg