Jasmine tree

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mandiboothe, Aug 7, 2004.

1. mandiboothe

mandiboothe Member

I am new to growing and I just picked up a Jasmine tree, I am not sure what kind, it is small with dark green leaves and small white flowers.
    I have had it for about a week and all the leaves are falling off, someone told me it was getting to much sun, but I do not have it in the sun..
    I was wondering if anyone could help me?? I do not want it to die, I love it..
    Anything would be great, because I really know nothing about it..

Thanks...

2. mls

mls

I bought one just today. The owner of the store told me not to keep it near windows (indirect sunlight only), fertilize it each time you water until it flowers again, and occasionally, if you normally keep it inside, let it sit outside in indirect sunlight. Hope that helps.

3. squeakymk

squeakymk Member

I purchased a small jasmine tree over the summer and it did really well outside. The man that sold the plant, assured me that the jasmine will continue to bloom throughout the year as long as it has plenty of sunlight. Is this true, even in the winter, indoors? Also, it does not seem to be doing so well, now that I've moved it inside for the season. Any suggestions?

4. squeakymk

squeakymk Member

New Jasmine

I purchased a jasmine tree this summer, about three feet tall. The gentleman assured me that the plant would bloom year-round if it had adequate sunlight during the winter. Is this true? What is the proper in-door care for a jasmine? Any thoughts/suggestions?

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

If your jasmine tree is Murraya paniculata it will bloom most of the year with enough light. Read through this thread to see if that is what you have.

6. It is true, Jasnine tree will bloom thru out the year as long as you water it regularly and if you are going to winter it over in side, make sure place your jasmine tree by the window with the most of sun light.
    I had the jasmine tree for 5 years, it was doing very well constantly bloom with cluster of small white flowers and strong fragance, until I went on vacation for a month my neighbor forgot watering it, when i came back it was crisp, there's no way I could save it. I have a new one now, almost a year it was doing so well until I move to the new place, where I placed it, not much of sun light the leaves start falling off, and sweating with oil. I will have to move it to some place else with more sun in order to save it.
    I hope my personal experience would help some Jasmine tree lovers

7. Hi I'm not sure if this will help as i have ony had mine for about 1 yr but, I found that keeping the root system moist (not wet) will allow your tree to grow rappidly...also 50/50 sun and shade was what I found to be perfect. As far as the leaves falling of, it sounds like too much water.. if it's in a pot make sure there is good drainage holes remember moist not wet...one last thing ....you might want to prune every branch it comes back quickly don't worry...just make sure its in the sun 50/50
    p.s please excuse the spelling.....

8. jerhenz

jerhenz Member

I bought my tree in 2000, It is now about 7 1/2 ft. tall. I think your getting too much water also.

I have recently moved to Houston from Nashville, and should now be able to leave it outside year-round. I always have had mine placed in mostly direct sunlight, and have found full sun to cause some problems. When taking these guys inside, you have to know that they are very suseptible to spider mites, you will loose all your leaves before you even know you have a problem! I have always given mine a precausionary spraying with Raid House and Garden every couple of weeks all year long.

Additionally, mine has always done well outside, but when I take inside for the Winter, I set it by a window in the garage where the temperature stays no less than 40 degrees and reduce the watering to once a week or so depending on the feel of the soil. Keeping moist with out a deep watering, maybe 1/2 of what it takes to make water come out the bottom. This kind of makes it go into a hybernation mode. Keep the spray and water coming and set outside when the frost has passed.

One more note, watch the pruning, once you cut a flowering tip, it's gone for good. Just go for the general shape you desire and prune only when totally necessary.

9. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

One should remember that there are many varieties in the Jasmine family and each variety will have its own requirements for perfect growth. Also, the plant you buy is grown in nurseries with conditions as close to its natural requirements as economically possible. It is difficult to maintain such light, heat, humidity requirements in a home environment so one has to do as best as possible in their home sitiuation.
    There are certain basic requirements that need attention. The plant need to be soaked in good natural light for as longer part of the day as possible but not in direct sunlight if hot. Keep the soil moist but not wet (good drainage). A thick bushy plant may not be maintainable by the root system in non-ideal condition in most homes. The dense tree looks good but will have less air circulation and a good part of the plant may not be receiving the sun light. So some tactful pruning will be required to achive air circulation, light penetration and enough mass of leaves left for photosynthesis. Follow the prescribed routine for fertilization based on the plant type.
    I keep my two diifferent types of Jasmine plants outside in Summer. The scent-like smell of the bloom is airborn in the neighbourhood by the hot and humid air in July and August.

10. et2007

et2007 Active Member

I don't remember how old is my Jasmine, but it is very old, I think the name is "Grand Duke". In the winter I put it at the East window, I notice it only flower on new grow so I cut it after the flowers death for new shoot grow. My Jasmine is growing on my ceiling now. I feed my Jasmine once a month, and trim off old leave. Here are some pictures, it is not too good, but I thought I share.

Attached Files:

11. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

et2007,
    Yours is a Jasminum sambac 'Grand Duke of Tuscany'. I think the Arabian Jasmine has a very nice scent - light and pure. Do you keep your plant indoors year-round? It has much fuller growth than mine which is basically three upright stems 4-feet in height. Repeated attempts to force branching by pruning have failed. I'm thinking of cutting it back severely next spring. Do you have any advice for me?

12. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Junglekeeper,
    I'm not sure about advice for I'm only love plants and grow many as I can that fit my indoor space in winter, because of there Tropical origin.
    In March I cut back branches, take off all old, damage leaves, feed with fish emulsion, (it smell, but I keep thinking how good the flowers smell) then I take it outdoor in mid. May, I'm in Zone 5.
    Yes, I love the light and pure scent. If you like light and pure scent try to grow Michellia Champaca "alba".
    That all I do for Jasmine, I'm not sure why your Jasmine failed branching, did you cut too close to the node? I cut about 1/2 in above the node and when new grow emerge I go back and cut close to the node for cosmetic reason.
    Good luck.

13. Junglekeeper

I'm sure my plant would benefit from some time outdoors but it's not an option. The pruning cuts were made above multi-leafed nodes (where the buds seem to be) but only one bud grows as a result. It could be because the root system is not as well developed as yours as my plant is only a few years old. It produced only two flowers this year unlike my 'Maid of Orleans' which blooms for months on end and has no problems branching.

I agree, the champaca has a wonderful scent. I would have bought one if not for the large size of the mature tree. Instead I opted for a Banana Shrub which also has a pleasant smell.

14. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Yes, I think that true, I can't remember, but I know for sure my Jasmine is not less then 10 years. I don't like my plants outdoor but my house doesn't have bright light and I tend to grow plants that needed bright light to flowers and fruits.
    I'm lucky, my Champaca from CA. it only 3-4 ft tall, last summer it produced 8 flowers.
    I don't know the Banana Shrub, hope it didn't smell like Banana.

Attached Files:

15. Junglekeeper

Yes, it smells like ripe bananas but the scent is also light and pure like its relative the champaca.

16. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

With the interest shown in growing jasmine you might have probably already bumped into this site, but if not you may find it useful for information on growing Jasmine indoor:

http://toptropicals.com/html/toptropicals/articles/shrubs/jasminum_sambac.htm#tips

I have already started thinking of getting one "Jasminum sambac 'Grand Duke of Tuscany' " though I have only a west facing window indoor. I believe Flora Exotica in Montreal may have it in stock. I like the size of the flower. It seems huge and I read in the above URL that the fragrance is strong and blooms year round (whatever this means in reality). Any reality check on these qualities I mentioned from the above URL (flower size, fragrance and frequency of flowering indoor?).

17. Junglekeeper

As I mentioned upthread 'Maid of Orleans' is a better bloomer and easier to maintain (for me anyway) in an indoor environment. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the intensity of fragrance. 'Grand Duke' may seem more fragrant because its larger flower.

18. maryclick

maryclick Member

My jasmine tree does well on my deck in near full sun all summer. When I bring it in during the winter, leaves do fall off initially--like a ficus tree. When I decorate it with Christmas tree lights (one white string) and feed it a little, the leaves stop falling off. I time the lights to come on at 5 pm and go off at 10 pm. I think this may mix up it's light cycle but does keep it warmer, sort of a pseudo tropical trick. It also provides me with a nice holiday feeling all winter. I live in Virginia and it does get cold here. Those of you who live farther north may want to give this a shot. I've kept one going for three years using this maintenance cycle. Let me know if you have success. mb.click@verizon.net