Help identifying this plant

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by imacrusing, Nov 29, 2009.

1. imacrusing

imacrusing Member

We are at beach for 6 months and there is this beautiful red plant all around the property and I really want to get some for my home but no one seems to know what it is...It is red with velvet like leaves in clusters...

I will try to attach a picture of it...it is in North Myrtle Beach SC in USA

Apparently I do not know how to attach so it shows here..HELP please

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Click on the fourth item from the top in the sidebar on the right-hand side of this page, the entry entitled "Attaching Images". This will give you more information on how to accomplish this maneuver.

Or, do what I do: prevail upon a techno-savvy young person (in my case, my daughter) who will do it for you!

By the way, welcome to the Forum. Until the photos are visible to us all, give us more details about your mystery plant. D'you mean the whole plant is red or just its leaves? Is this plant growing in sand? Does it grow from a rhizome or bulb? Any flowers? Does it have an aroma to it? Leaves opposite or alternate? How tall?---Well, you get the idea!

3. imacrusing

imacrusing Member

OK will try again to post a picture of this red plant about 5 feet tall..beautiful cluster of leaves

Attached Files:

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hmm. Could it be an Amaranthus?
    Wow---you DO have quite a crop of them!

Am sure that our bevy of plant experts will have this quickly IDed for you.
    I can see why you'd like to cultivate it! So would I!

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Acalypha.

6. imacrusing

imacrusing Member

Thanks..it looks like I cannot plant it in NC .it gives zones and NC isnt in it...