Red Leaf Peach Tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by JOHNT401, Aug 26, 2006.

1. JOHNT401

JOHNT401 Member

I Have A 2 Peach Trees In My Yard Which I Acquired As Seedlings From A Relative Who Had Said They Had Come From A Tree That He Had Growing On His Upstate New York Property For More Than Thirty Years. I Have Never Seen Trees Like These Before. I Have Asked Many Different People Who Either Own Or Work At Different Nurseries About Them And They Say They Have Never Seen Or Heard Of Red Leaf Peach Trees. I Would Like To Know If Anyone Has Any Information On These Type Of Trees. They Have Normal Peach Tree Shaped Leaves (somewhat Smaller In Size) The Peaches Never Get Larger Than Ping Pong Balls, The Tree Itself Grows Kind Of Crooked Without Really Any True Shape And The Leaves Are Always Dark Red To Burgandy In Color.

Any Info Be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks John T

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, more than one kind of purpleleaf peach has been named and put on the market over the years. If interested, see discussion in Jacobson, Purpleleaf Plums (Timber Press). They are not extremely rare. Cultivar 'Citation' is even used as a rootstock for other Prunus.

3. JOHNT401

JOHNT401 Member

Where can I obtain more specific information on this type of tree: name, literature, where to obtain new plants or seeds (pits)?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If interested, see discussion in Jacobson, Purpleleaf Plums (Timber Press).

5. judykaye

judykaye Member

My grandfather developed a red leafed peach tree in the 1950's. He used Stark Brother's stock. Powell Botanical Gardens in western Missouri is starting a heritage garden area featuring an orchart and vegetable garden. Powell Garden's head horticulturist took us on a tour of the nursery area for the orchart in the fall of 2006. He requested one of Grampa's trees. We delivered them this spring. Now he and we are trying to figure out how Grampa got this tree from grafting. Stark Brothers say they can perhaps figure it out with a peach from the tree.

Grampa's tree sounds a lot like the trees you are talking about.

6. MONET22

MONET22 Member

JOHNT401:
    I grow peaches and have one mature Red Leaf peach tree left. I got 24 seeds from a neighbors tree, and 5 emerged 8 years ago.
    I also have three 2 year old saplings. These emerged after 5 years! A squirrel planted some nuts for me, and after 5 years they sprouted. They can be slow to start.

My tree does real well in the Thumb area of Michigan, and has no pests or disease, and needs no spray. I like this peach best of all I've tried. They taste wonderful.

Go further south to the Detroit area, and they are loaded with insects and disease. It does not do well in that area at all, does not bear well, and will not live long. It needs a colder climate. But it just might be that my tree is highly resistant to diseases and insects.

They are a Chinese Wild Peach. They need full sun. The ripening fruit will crack after a rain.
    They grow almost 30' tall and 30' wide. I think it would be best to prune them down to a smaller size. But I don't know anyone who has this tree at all, to compare notes on its growth and care.

The leaves stay red all year. The peaches are a white freestone.
    I get about 1 bushel of peaches every year from my tree. It has few branches, but it bears heavily in the cool climate.

The fruit is mild, sweet and soft...no good for commercial use.
    I make juice from them, freeze it, and keep the pulp for freezing also. I have to process the fruit within 2 days of picking. The ripe fruit does not keep well.

They are small, like you say, about the size of a tangerine. They don't store well at all, and bruise easily. But they are almost fuzzless.

Despite their drawbacks, they are my favorite peach for eating fresh off the tree.

Prunis persica
    Prunus davidiana

7. Janice68

Janice68 Member

I have a red leaf peachtree and if anyone has information about this tree, I would like to know, how common they are. If anyone else has them. Thanks

8. autumn peach

autumn peach New Member

we grow the red leaf peach trees, they have beautiful pink flowers in spring and smaller fruit but plentiful, my children think they are very sweet. I like them for baking and making juice. We sale them at the farmers market every year. I like that they produce fruit quickly. With Sun they grow faster than shade but will grow in either climate. But I have found that they reach maturity better in the sun.