Strange smell

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by rebscott, Mar 7, 2006.

1. rebscott

rebscott Member

Hi, can anyone help, I have several plants in my front porch and I have noticed a funny smell, like cat's urine. The plants I have are, a yucca, an easter cactus, devil's ivy. a draecena marginata , an australian bottle tree, 2 chilli plants, a christmas cactus and a ficus benjamina. The smell is very strong and I don't have any cats so am assuming it must be coming from 1 of the plants. I have tries sniffing them individually but I can't seem to smell anything. Would appreciate any help!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cats cannot come into this area from off the property?

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

You've had visitors of the furry persuasion - you must have good organic soil!

4. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Haven't got a white spruce nearby have you?

5. Ron B

Yes: if it's not cats from outside and not potted plants that leaves plants growing in the ground. Sheared, mildewing Viburnum tinus for example stinks of cats.

6. rebscott

rebscott Member

Hi, no I don't have any cats that have access into my porch but the neighbours do and there are always cats coming into my garden, to my disdain. I don't have a spruce. I do have a purple passiflora growing up thr front of my house and also some buxus planted at the front in the garden. I am just mystified, the smell is not here all the time and is just awful, is embarassing as people coming ino the house must think I do have cats! Am still at loss!

7. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I thought I read on a nearby thread that Buxus can smell of cat urine. Perhaps the prevailing breeze settles the smell into your porch. Although the smell is not pleasant, you needn't be embarassed that people might think you have cats - cats can happen to the best of us :-) and I think even if it is neighbours' cats, people understand that cat pee happens. Just thank your lucky stars you don't have something that smells like skunks.

8. Ron B

It's the box.

9. oscar

oscar Active Member

box was the first thing that popped into my head when i first read this....it do stink like cats pee.

10. rebscott

rebscott Member

Will investigate to see if it is the box, thanks everyone!