How to Care for Wandering Jew

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Eric La Fountaine, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

i just recently bought a wonder jew and i dont know how much to water the plant or what type of light it prefers. it did not come with a notification card.please help
    jessica

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wandering Jews are one of the easiest houseplants to grow. Put it in a bright spot and water it when the soil surface becomes dry.

3. amyb

amyb New Member

i also have a wandering jew plant. the purple in the leaves has recently begun to bleed, giving the leaves an over all purplish hue. does anyone know why this might be?

4. I also have a wandering jew and the leaves are completely purple. I am young and not a big plant expert but my mother said it is from sun because hers is in a more shaded part of the house and is not as purple. She also said it is not a bad thing.

5. I recently purchased a Wandering Jew and I have been watering it only when the soil is dry. It is dying fast. I have moved it to a sunnier location but it is not helping. What other tips do you have to help me bring this plant back to life.

6. If your plant is starting to die on you try to cut off the healthy parts of the plant and put them in a glass of water. Once it starts getting roots you can put it in soil. I had a big wandering jew but it keept dying on me all the time. I kept cutting and re-planting it and how I have a nice, healthy little wandering jew. Also, don't keep it in a place that is too dark but at the same time it doesn't seam to like direct sun.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  7. Can you put these outside? Do they grow flowers?

Thanks

8. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

they do like to b kept moist all the time ..make sure it gets bright indirect light .. more like late afternoon light .. and u can put it outside as long as it dont freeze . some areas use them outside for border plants .. and they do get flowers .. the typical wandering jew gets a purple flower on them .. the purple heart wandering jew gets pink flowers .. .. there is a pink variegated wandering jew that gets a white flower and they r tiny ..

good luck with them

Marn

9. does it have to be under sunlight

10. justneedtoknow

justneedtoknow Member

If its the same purple wandering jew I had it loved being outside but be careful it will take over your whole yard and its very hard to get rid of I tried to kill mine and the only way I could get rid of it was by putting my pet pig in that area and letting her dig all the roots up and eat them. Oh and it did have pretty little purple flowers on it.

11. Lonicera Lover

Lonicera Lover Member

justneedtoknow you have a pig?

12. justneedtoknow

justneedtoknow Member

13. jncochran71903

jncochran71903 Member

had a pet pig till it ate all those roots!

I have a big jew plant and it is in a kind of dark spot it gets light but whatever happens to be in the corner. I tried to put it in a brighter spot but it started to look bad so i moved it back to the corner and it is doing great.

14. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Chickens are partial to it too and do a great job at eradication. might be easier than the pig :)

LIZ

15. TipseyTara

TipseyTara Member

I got a wandering jew at walmart back in the spring. I just loved the dark purple under leaf. It is the easiest plant i've ever had. I'm in Pa and have mine in a hanging basket on my stoop. It gets half and half (sun and shade). As for watering it, I was told to go by the weight of the plant. LoL if it felt light water, if it felt heavy leave it alone. As for regrowing it, well i've taking pieces off of it left and right. I literally pinch a piece off and stick it in a new pot. I have about four of them now. All from the one plant I got at walmart. On a sidenote, I did try putting one in an african violet planter and it died each time i tried it.

16. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you are in a good climate watch out if it gets loose. The green one in particular is very invasive.

Liz