Identification: Shirotae - double whites, green leaves, spreading, mid-season

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by wcutler, Apr 9, 2007.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This is not a question, but comments and corrections are very welcome.

Shirotae, which we call Mount Fuji on this continent*, are a flat-topped spreading tree with big handsome double white blossoms that do not get at all lost among the green leaves that emerge at the same time. The first two photos were taken in Vancouver BC on April 7, 2007. The third is from March 29, and the last is Joseph Lin's from March 28. I've added the last two to try to provide a better comparison with Shogetsu.

* edited by wcutler 2012apr5: just for the record, we are not calling 'Shirotae' Fuji or Mount Fuji.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Shirotae (Mount Fuji) – double whites, green leaves, spreading, mid-season

Depends on who "we" is. I call it 'Shirotae', which is how it is listed in books such as NORTH AMERICAN LANDSCAPE TREES (Jacobson) which gave 'Mt. Fuji' or 'Mount Fuji' as synonyms, and THE HILLIER MANUAL OF TREES & SHRUBS, which lists it as 'Shirotae' ('Mount Fuji').

"In the early twentieth century it was exported to Europe and North America as 'Mount Fuji'. The snow-capped mountain with its perfect cone shape was a preeminent symbol of the exotic Land of the Rising Sun. The name appealed to the fashionable Western public, but can lead now to confusion with the Fuji cherry (P. incisa)"

--Kuitert, JAPANESE FLOWERING CHERRIES

3. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

I learned this Flowering Cherry as being
    Shirotae. As I remember it Hillier's plant
    did come to them as being Mount Fuji but
    their plant is not the same as Mount Fuji
    is in the Kansai region of Japan. Shirotae
    does not have quite the ruffle in the center
    of the flower as either Fuji or Mount Fuji
    have. I was first told years ago from a
    Japanese nurseryman that Mount Fuji
    and Fuji were selected forms of Shirotae.
    Another difference is that some Shirotae
    are more semi-double in flower whereas
    both Fuji and Mount Fuji are double flowers
    in comparison.

Jim

4. wynn

wynn Active Member 10 Years

Ok , I'm a little confused. I love these flat topped semi or double pure white flowering cherries. I purchased 2 for my own garden labeled as "Mt. Fuji". They are pure white (no pink even in bud) and tend to be semi-double (some single flowers). At a nursery I noticed they had a number of trees they labelled Shirotae (not Mt. Fuji). These looked different. The buds had a pinkness to the outer petal and tended to be fully double. A more full flower and a pink overcast. Are Shirotae and Mt. Fujii different (or the same) cultivars? My Mt. Fuji's are less full and whiter than these Shirotae. Is there that much variation in the individual trees or are they really different cultivars.

Wynn

5. Ron B

'Shogetsu' has sometimes been mixed up in commerce with 'Shirotae' ('Mt Fuji').

6. wcutler

I've been really taken with the fat Shirotae buds (is that what you call these things before the flower buds have burst out of them?). The second ones at the UBC Asian Centre Parkade seem to be coming along as quickly as the one in the West End, which was taken only five days earlier.

Attached Files:

7. Ron B

The "things" are the scales of the winter buds.

8. wcutler

What cherries - white single-double, late mid-season, mostly bronze leaves

I thought these trees at Regent College, across from University Village, were Shirotae, but Douglas talked about how fresh Shirotae look with their green leaves, and these for the most part do not have fresh green leaves. They're on our list as Shogetsu and Shirofugen, but none of these really look like those to me. Neither of those cultivars is more than just opening in the west end, and these trees are almost finished. Shirofugen would never finish that fast, and wouldn't be going brown on the edges before they turn pink and they won't do that surely till June this year. All the trees are fairly young, but some are very young, and some of them look different from others of them.

20080425_RegentCollege_Cutler_4834r.jpg 20080425_RegentCollege_Cutler_4837.jpg
    20080425_RegentCollege_Cutler_4847.jpg 20080425_RegentCollege_Cutler_4849r.jpg

The young ones have greener leaves but very small flowers relative to the cultivars in question.
    20080425_RegentCollege_Cutler_4841.jpg 20080425_RegentCollege_Cutler_4844.jpg

These were just a few of the blossoms on one of the trees that look like all the others.
    20080425_RegentCollege_Cutler_4851.jpg 20080425_RegentCollege_Cutler_4853.jpg 20080425_RegentCollege_Cutler_4854.jpg 20080425_RegentCollege_Cutler_4857.jpg

This tree has hardly anything left, but I thought the blossoms looked like the Stanley Park Memorial Ojochin/Ariake, but the sepals are serrated and I can't tell if they sort of point up at the tips or not.
    20080425_RegentCollege_Cutler_4826.jpg 20080425_RegentCollege_Cutler_4827r.jpg 20080425_RegentCollege_Cutler_4829.jpg 20080425_RegentCollege_Cutler_4831r.jpg

9. Ron B

Re: What cherries - white single-double, late mid-season, mostly bronze leaves

If not 'Shirotae' then very similar. 'Shogetsu' forms a thin mushroom of a tree with pompoms of flowers between sections of bare branch as does 'Pink Perfection'; 'Shirofugen' has markedly purple young leaves on a particularly tabular crown looking like a cloud bank when in bloom. Another seen down here mixed with 'Shirotae' in plantings, as though being sold as 'Shirotae' has been identified by A.L. Jacobson as 'Hosokawa-nioi'. Although of similar coloring it produces an obviously different, smaller single flower. I've also seen 'Hosokawa' listed a couple places on the internet incorrectly as a synonym of 'Shirotae'.

10. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Re: What cherries - white single-double, late mid-season, mostly bronze leaves

I'm familiar with these trees. They are 'Shirotae'.

11. wcutler

Here's a summer Shirotae leaf photo.

Attached Files:

12. wcutler

Attached Files: